the peridexis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the peridexis

Alrighty. We've seen a bunch of the powers come and go throughtout all the books. Now we've got the peredexis to deal with too. Is it another power? Or an extension of the One? Or is it something else entirely, like the Pig? A blip in the universe?

Im rather confuzzled.
    PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
    Follow the bouncing poot

Hmm. I can't say what that is, just try to reason it out in my own way.
    The Powers are the outside controls of the universe. Outside - because they are constrained by rules regarding the objects (people and all) in the universes, but do act, and therefore involved. As are outside controls in a machine - they are involved not in action, but involved in the process. This is a key word - process.
    The way I see it, peridexis is a sentient process. Not an outside control, but not an action or an initiator of one.

Sorry if it is confusing - if you want to make sense of it, ask, I will try to clear it up. I tend to think - and reason - compactly. And then I usually have to explain myself...

Comment

what i got from the explanation of the peridexis in the book was that it was always there in their heads but they couldnt hear it until the powers that be gave them more power because of the senior wizards losing theirs.
      "Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance!" I would rather be hated for who i am than be loved for who i pretend to be!
      "People...stop being mean to each other.
      Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane in chat.
      "T

Comment

But they couldn't hear it, only Nita could. It's still a mystery as to why only she could. It's not as simple as the increased power.

I don't know what it is, but I expect it'll be explained eventually.
        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Could it be an extension of Neet's very odd ever-increasing power levels? Like, since she's going counter to the normal trend of wizardry, she's got skills that all the rest of them (even Ronan, with his One-ness) don't?
          PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
          Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Peridexis describes it self in a way that sounds like it is in the same class as the transcendent Pig, just a guess

CURTESTY OF ASCHIEL EVIL 1/20TH OF BP
            "Absurdity is the spice of life, the little things that always make the one being absurd laugh, and no one else"-me, being serious
            Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him alight and he's warm for the rest of his life ~ Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Any possible way that the Peridexis effect could be a power who's hidden itself in Nita? Kind of what happened with either Ponch or Memeki, right?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tarotpoker.gif

Comment

ChibiFerretGod, I was thinking something along the same lines, too. It seemed to me that the Peridexis never really explained itself. That leaves many options and ideas open to what it REALLY is. It knows so many things, it can't just be something weak or ordinary. It might be some sort of Power growing inside of her, along with his increasing power levels. Other wizards are very strong and powerful, or experienced, but there's been no mention of anything like the Peridexis up until now, making me presume that Nita is the "one and only" to develop such power. I hope we find out what the Peridexis really is, and why Neets's powers are going up rather than decreasing, in the next book and soon, because I'm really really curious.

Comment

i think of the peridexis as..well, my name, first of all. but besides that, it IS wizardry. the very being of it. you know how everything has a spirit, an essence? the peridexis is that. nothing is predominently "inamminate", as we put it, because wizardry has a place in EVERYTHING. do you kinda get it? oh yeah; i know i sound philosiphical, but books like this really make me think, and i love that. bnormally however, i'm not this serious.

Comment

ChibiFerretGod, I love your avatar! But could you scale it down a little, I would hate for it to get banned or anything . . . </chatter>

How long do you people think the peridexis has been with Nita? If you think it is the wizardry that is present everywhere then obviously you think it has always been with her. But if it is something else, if it is something unique to Nita, then when did it arrive? During W@W? When she started having prophetic dreams? When she had her Ordeal? Some random point in time between?

Comment

Personally i think that the peridexis was there all along it just took the increased power boost for it to be able to communicate,
                      the Peridexis says why it talked to nita because she could handle wizardry being a real living thing, and perhaps noone else could.

though maybe u are right Caitlin maybe it is just nita not going along with normal wirzardness. *shrugs* who knows, maybe there is no explanation
                      If it is to be believed that the universe is infinite why do we still search for its end.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cadet:
                        But if it is something else, if it is something unique to Nita, then when did it arrive? During W@W? When she started having prophetic dreams? When she had her Ordeal? Some random point in time between?
                        There wasn't much time in between - her first prophetic dream is in SYWTBAW before she even meets Kit.
                        It's probably connected with her increasing power levels. The peridexis is curious about them, and since it can't join the forums to speculate, it's hanging round her instead.
                        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

PM: I actually meant W@W to be one of the points between which a 'random point' could be located, so I was actually specifying a whole lotta time.

Do you think the peridexis is connected with her prophetic dreams? It seems like it would be too much of a coincidence to have more than one amazingly amazing thing happening to Nita at once. There are enough characters in the series that the amazingness could be spread around somewhat.
                          (Sorry, that didn't make much sense, did it?)

Comment

Well, you know how every universe, planet, etc has a soul, which is portrayed as a kernel. Maybe she is somehow communicating with the kernel of Wizardry itself. Then again, none of the other kernels that she has manipulated seemed to have personalities, but this is Wizardry itself, so who knows?

It might also be a power, maybe the one responsible for the manual, hiding inside her like with Ronan, where she lives with it but doesn't discover it until her power levels increase to the point that she can sense it. Maybe the power itself is the cause of her mysteriously increasing power levels throughout the books. It would also explain the shift in specialties as the power begins to affect her, giving her the ability to have prophetic dreams, and also why she is able to handle the notion that Wizardry is "alive" when most others cannot. If it is a part of her, whether or not she consciously knows, she will subconsciously understand that it is there. It could also explain why so many spectacular things have happened to her. She started with a bang, and was immediately involved in pretty much every major intervention since then. One could argue that Kit was too, but he was just there because of her in Deep Wizardry, High Wizardry, A Wizard Abroad, and A Wizard's Dilemma.

...wow...that was a whole lot deeper than I intended. This really makes you think!

EDIT: Sorry about the giant avatar. My computer made it like 20 times bigger for some reason, so I've just got a generic one until I get around to making my own.
                            "Ah, the substance that binds the universe together." -Tom Swale, about duct tape.
                            "You are my friend!" -Mamvish

Comment

aaaahhhhhh! It's the attack of the killer avatar!
                              Quick, shrink it down, shrink it down!

Comment

Working...
                              X