Have you read W@W?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you read W@W?

This is to decide whether the Wizards at War discussion section on this site should be put in the normal area with the rest of the books discussion sections, rather than being a "spoiler area".

Rather than ask if it SHOULD be made "normal", I'll simply ask if you've read the book, as it will lead to less arguments, confusion, unecessary discussion, etc. Therefore, there's no need to post; there isn't much to say... either you've read the book, you're reading it, or you haven't yet started it. That is, unless there's something inevitably wrong with getting rid of the "spoiler" part of the Wizards at War area. Just vote in the poll.
    Yes
    78.57%
    In progress
    7.14%
    No
    14.29%
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

I don't agree with you. These forums have become open to the public, and if someone outside is checking it and they find that topic, they might find spoilers that they don't want.
    "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
    -Terry Pratchett
    Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

If "someone outside" was checking out the site, they probably wouldn't have anything to do with Youngwizards and therefore wouldn't care.... People who ARE interested would register almost immediately (like I did... not that I had a choice. Back in the day [I sound like my SS teacher ] you had to be registered before you could even LOOK at the forums).

And, besides.... It's just as likely that someone who hasn't read the series could enter, say, the SYWTBAW forum. It'd be spoiling to enter that as well; tell me the difference with entering the W@W area and the SYWTBAW forum. And "everyone's read SYWTBAW" is NOT a valid answer, I'll tell you that ahead of time. Not only is it an over generalization, but what you just said leaves the possibility open that these "outsiders" haven't even read SYWTBAW.
      "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by vashmata:
        I don't agree with you. These forums have become open to the public, and if someone outside is checking it and they find that topic, they might find spoilers that they don't want.
        Then that could go for any of the books. There is no guarantee that anyone who visits this forum have read all or any of the books. It is all a guess. I know that I've actually pointed a few people in the direction of this site who wanted to read the books. These people hadn't read the books yet. They were only interested in them. This is also why we use spoiler boxes or we put spoilers in the name of the forum topic. I think that the book has been out long enough now that the spoiler forum can go away. If you're going to say that not everyone has read the book, than that can go for the whole series. It isn't like the book came out this year. It came out a couple of years ago in 2005.
        Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
        Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

It only came out in June, if you had to wait for the paperback. And that's assuming you can get your hands on the US edition. AFAIK, there hasn't been a UK, or Australian edition of the book.

The thing is that we're just going to need the spoiler forum again when A Wizard of Mars comes out. We used to have spoiler areas/chats for Wizard's Holiday, too. I think. My memory is fuzzy these days.

Waiting until the new book isn't the new book is a pretty decent rule of thumb, I think.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I can see the usefullness of a spoiler section, but if you'r careful, you should be able to look after yourself. Is it really so hard to pay attention to which threads you're going to?
            I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

Maybe its good to leave the spoiler section anyway because there are always going to be some people who get mad at being "spoiled" even if the book isn't just out...

...tho it is funny that no one seems to be leaving mad messages about the earlier books...

Comment

When i started reading the yw books iwas only on deep wizardry-last week- but i appreciated all the spoiler warning so i think it should stay there.
                It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
                That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

If the spoiler areas were to be vamooshed, then perhaps there should be a little note in the title of the thread?
                  On the other hand, if you haven't read the book, then you should have the sence to not go into that area.
                  Uneless you are just randomly clicking things, then you mayn't even know what YW is...
                  Somehow I doubt that they will suffer for seeing spoilers...
                  “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
                  -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by vashmata View Post
                    Who goes to a forum for a book they have not read, but intend to read? People who want spoilers.
                    There is always a price, but who pays it is optional.

Comment

Working...
                    X