"A fallen skyscraper or two"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A fallen skyscraper or two"

Dai Stiho' everyone! I was just re-reading some parts of W@W that I marked for future reference when I came across this quote on pg 470:

The Lone Power-"Every government on the planet with any weapons worth noticing is already on DEFCON Two, and it's only a matter of hours before the big show begins. A fallen skyscraper or two will be nothing compared to what's coming up..."

When I read over that part, I thought that The Lone Power was referring to 9/11 and the Twin Towers tragedy. What do you all think?
    "But your dark Master has neither authority nor right to judge us. Therefore stand away, lackey, and keep silent in the presence of your betters."

Almost definitely so, especially considering when the book was written.

Comment

Dai! Yes, almost certainly, especially considering Nita's thought when Carl and Tom brief the gang in the first few chapters:

"Nita though ruefully of the Manhattan skyline."

Hey, love your siggy, Sapphire! Roshaun is so... quotable.

Comment

I definitely thought that that was what the LP was referring to. I kind of saw this as DD's way of acknowledging the tragedy with out dwelling too much on such a painful subject.
        I also though that it might be her way of letting us know where in time the story was taking place. I know it can be kind of confusing if it is closer to the early 90's or if it is current, and mentioning the towers places it after 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
          Dai! Yes, almost certainly, especially considering Nita's thought when Carl and Tom brief the gang in the first few chapters:

"Nita though ruefully of the Manhattan skyline."
          I thought that thought was referring to the smog and pollution getting worse. But I'm probably wrong.

Yeah, I definitely think the Isolate was referring to 9/11.
          "The lead horse breaks the traces and goes astray to cry its clarion challenge harsh at heaven. Understandably. But can it understand in time the danger that dogs immoderate success?"
          -Hexagram 61: A wind troubles the waters

Comment

Working...
          X