Carmela and the crossings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmela and the crossings

Ok I was thinking now that Carmela has a worldgate in her closet she can now go to the crossings what exactly is she going to use for money wizards pay by way of energy right but she isn't a wizard what mischief do you see her getting in

Hey, cool idea! I think everything will be free, considering that she basically saved the whole Crossings complex from Tawalf, and she knows the heir to the Stationmaster.

Which is not so good: I foresee many weapons of mass destruction (laser blowdryer, anyone?) and chocolate in the future. And possibly intergalatic SWAT teams turning up at Kit's front door.

Comment

But

Don't u remember that even thought sker ret is the stationmaster and she helped saved the place that doesn't mean she can get all she wants for free but she might get a discount on that stuff

Comment

Maybe Carmela could set up a beauty parlor, and trade for services? I can just imagine her offering one of Sker'ret's people their choice of nail polish for their claws...
        "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

I can see 'Mela getting comped a lot at the Crossings for the rest of her life. However, I can also see her making an absolute killing selling chocolate. In fact, that seems like such a potentially great way to make a living - as the only legit stockist of chocolate off Earth (which is, I forget the word, but it's off the grid in terms of interplanetary travel). She'd be able to undersell the smugglers and corner the market.

Although now I'm wondering about getting an import/export license... plus she'd probably have to bulk-buy the chocolate in order to be able to onsell it, although then I suppose she'd get it cheaper.
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Bulk-buying? One bar of "Verona Grand Cru" was worth a small fortune, apparently. She'd probably wreck the economy. Although maybe that was a realllly good chocolate, like Ghirideli or something, and Hershey Bars are cheap enough to facilite that without bursting some sort of chocolate bubble.

And Carmela? Legal? Oh, she wouldn't worry about that.

Even if she hadn't saved the Crossings I still suspect she'd get lots of free rides...due to her alien charm. Um, charm from the alien's point of view, not the other way around.

Comment

Carmela's reward for her part in saving the Crossings is actually dealt with explicitly in AWOM, where it is revealed that [very minor spoiler for chapter 2 of AWOM (at least the version that was posted in the premium content area some time ago)] the government of Rirhath B bestowed a substantial reward on Carmela for "services rendered," which she took in the form of shopping vouchers. She is, as expected, greatly looking forward to using these, and Nita guesses that the Crossings' shopkeepers are just as enthusiastic as Carmela is about the prospect of this shopping spreehere"just a tourist training to be a Galactic personal shopper," when Mamvish points out that she's not a wizard.)
              Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Working...
              X