Names of the Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names of the Champion

Does anyone know where the titles the One's Champion uses on Rashah are from; which ones are from real-world legends/myths and which ones are 'new'?

The names are:

Hod the Splendid - Hmmm. There's a couple things this one could refer to. There's a Norse god, Hod, but he was blind and mostly famous for being tricked by Loki into killing Baldur, so that seems unlikely. Hod seems to be Hebrew for 'splendor' however, so it might be a reference to that...

Regent of the Sun - Fairly self-explanatory, and makes sense with all the fire associations the Champion gets (Prometheus, the fire of the Spear, etc.)

Ruler of the Third Day and the Fourth Heaven - Well, there is all this old stuff about various angels being associated with different days of the week, and different levels of heaven and stuff, so I think that might be where this comes from. "The third day" would be Tuesday, and the name comes from the Germanic/Norse god Tiw/Tyr who was god of war and courage, which fits the Champion well.

Avenger of the Luminaries - No idea. Does anyone know?

Guardian of the Divided Name - This one's explained in the book.

Messenger of Messengers - The word 'angel' comes from the Greek for 'messenger' so I think this is another angelic reference.

Chief Prince of the Presence - This seems to be another angelic reference; sometimes the 4 (or 3, or 7, depending on the source) highest angels are described as "standing before the Presence".

Winged like the Emerald - absolutely no idea. Sounds really cool though.

the Providencer - never seen this one anywhere.

Or the third day could refer to Wednesday, and after a quick Google search and a little Wikipedia reading, it appears that Wednesday is associated with--among other gods--Mercury, the messenger of the gods, which seems pretty apt. (Wednesday is also associated with Woden, who I think is some sort of amalgamation of Odin and Mercury. Which still sort of fits, even if Odin is in charge of the Norse pantheon.)

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminaries.

I don't know how the Champion 'avenged' them though, since they aren't dead to my eye. But the Powers live out of time...eh. I don't know.

Could the Luminaries also be some other Powers that were killed by LP? And the Champion somehow avenged them?

Obviously this name is new, since I did a search and got zilch for deities with that name.
      Last edited by Kathy Li; December 8, 2009, 06:00:18 PM. Reason: merged double-post.

Comment

Winged like the Emerald-In the book of Revelations it says that God appears as a 'rainbow that is like an emerald', and there are references to the wings of God in the Bible. So, it might just be a fancy way to say that the Champion has wings.

Avenger of the Luminaries: The good Powers are referred to as the bright powers, and luminaries would refer to something brilliant. The Champion might be the Power who takes action on the other's behalf; the 'avenger', so to speak, of the Isolate's betrayal.

I'm probably overthinking these a lot, though.
        Last edited by Senna; May 8, 2010, 03:43:28 PM.
        "The lead horse breaks the traces and goes astray to cry its clarion challenge harsh at heaven. Understandably. But can it understand in time the danger that dogs immoderate success?"
        -Hexagram 61: A wind troubles the waters

Comment

Working...
        X