Dark Matter/ Energy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Matter/ Energy

I love how Diane is using current scientific material in this one. I only heard about dark energy probably a year ago. It usually takes much longer for current scientific material to show up in books.

Anyway, I think this book's going to be one of the better in the series if not the best.

Xylemicarious
    I am Espresso Fiend.

Wasn't Dark Matter in HDM?? But it was good then.... now it's bad.... M is confused....
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

Originally posted by Agent M:
      Wasn't Dark Matter in HDM?? But it was good then.... now it's bad.... M is confused....
      (chuckle) Would you check your "private topics" area? Thanks.
      -- DD

Comment

I think its great too Authors have to keep up to date on so many differant subjects!! I mean, I'm guessing DD has to keep up with science topics + biology (the differant animal wizards) + and maybe even experimental biology (aliens ect). Plus with all that you would have to be well versed in myths etc. the mind boggles... Agent M I think your right about that, if fact now I'm thinking about it YOU ARE RIGHT!! it was in the books!! By the way though no one has said that dark matter will be bad in this book (I'll proberly eat my words later!!)!! I mean maybe the reason the dark matter is showing now is because of something else happening!!! Don't forget even for wizards the subject of dark matter is newish!! just a thought!
        Fox
        God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

I'm gonna have to read the excerpts now. Then I can comment too. Dark matter? Not anti-matter? Anti-matter, eesh. If antimatter collides with matter, both of the molucules (or was it atoms? Dunno if it's atom for atom or molecule for molecule) will literally disapear, pop out of existence.

Anti matter is, quite simply, the opposite of matter.
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Gryphon your right as far as I can remember!! If anti-matter collides with normal matter they cancel out each other as well as resleasing a huge amount of energy!! But in the wizards at war excerpt we are dealing with dark matter, which makes up most of the matter in the universe but we can not seem to find (enough of anyhow!! I think so far the amount of dark matter we have found is no where near what it should be!!), well i think i'm going to have to check now!! you've made me doubt!! anyway dinner calls.
            night all
            Fox
            God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

oooh, like an atom bomb or somthing? eesh...
              Yeah, the "Dust" in HDM was what Mary Malone, who's from our world, called Dark Matter.
              *Agent~M*
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "I could live

Comment

Oh! I've been trying to work out what HDM is... since CDM is Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate here, I thought maybe it was a Hershey bar with dark chocolate... hence the dark matter.

Right. Pullman. Haven't read anything by Pullman, which includes (excludes?) His Dark Materials.
                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Includes, since you're in the negative already.

His Dark Materials is fabulous. It was one of the first fantasy/sci-fi things I read. You really should run out and get the trilogy PM. And they're all in paperback now (at least in the US). And I splurge for hardcover books very few and far between (harder to carry around with you, those are), but those I bought.

Point is, when you're mixing fiction with science, it's hard to keep straight. Even the scientists keep changing their minds with whether things are good or bad (think eggs).
                  http://superdrea.net/

Comment

You haveta read it PM!!! The weird thing is that most of the people on here have actually read HDM.... HDM and the YW books are the best series ever....
                    *Agent~M*
                    "I could live

Comment

Amazing how similar people read the same type of books. I remember waiting for the third book to come out. I'm terribly impatient you see, and very picky about what I read (thus the tendency to reread the same things over and over again), so I was pleased to find out I wasn't alone in my obsessions.

Comment

oh lol. I didn't have to wait for any of them.... that made me happy, most series I read are fairly new so I have to wait and wait and wait....... I'm impatient.
                        The third one was my favorite but my friends who've read it said it was the worst one...
                        *Agent~M*
                        "I could live

Comment

I don't know that I'd go that far. Besides, if you include the comparisons of Oxford, and those cool wheeled creates, and then the third element, it turns out really really cool. Besides, in the third one, they could actually see what they were fighting. Which is important. I want to ride an animal that has evolved it's own built in unicycle.

The good part about the books (or the bad part depending on who you talk to) is that they switch perspective so often. It's hard to keep track, but so worth it, because it's nice to see how everyone feels about thing. That's why I liked HW & AWH so much. Seeing things from Dairine's perspective was nifty.

Comment

PM... don't think that you are the only one who hasn't ventured into the realms of Pullman.. 'cause, I haven't read HDM either. I don't know if I will .... maybe if I am desperate, or something.

Like drea, I am rather picky about what I read. If I am going to invest time, I want a book (preferably a series) to have many merits.
                            -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
                            The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
                            I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

*gasp* HDM isn't a book for when your desperate! It's on the must read list!!!!!
                              Yeah, switching perspectives is fun, but I've heard ppl at school that say they hate it when authors do that....
                              *Agent~M*
                              "I could live

Comment

Working...
                              X