Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spectacular View of Featured YW Places (on Earth)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectacular View of Featured YW Places (on Earth)

If you have Google Earth, type in East Clinton Ave., Hemptstead NY for a great 3D view of Nita and Kit's street. While your at it, take a look at Central Park and Grand Central! Even peak at Bray, Ronan's town in Ireland, County Wicklow, and even Castle Matrix, Shaun O'Driscoll's home. It is really amazing!

If you don't have Google Earth, you can download it online for free.

ENJOY!
    What is the Meaning of Life?
    Read. Write. Dance. Live.
    ...Dai Stiho!

Hey that is really awesome. It makes things seem more real when you read it now. that GREAT thanks
    I'm just sayin'!

Comment

I can't for the life of me remember where I found it, but whenever I first installed Google Earth a few years ago, I found this thing somewhere on DD's website that gave a list of YW places in Google Earth and had them bookmarked with short descriptions. Anyone else know what I'm talking about/where people can find it on the Internet? (It may have been something PM linked to at one point.) I haven't used Google Earth in awhile, so someone more familiar with the program may know what I'm talking about and where to find it.

Comment

Well, you could start with this post, in which DD discusses messing about with the Google API, and then sends you to this site which uses the settings she'd come up with. And then head for this Out of Ambit entry which gives you a link to a .kmz file.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I didn't realize that Kit and Nita's street actually exists. That's cool.
          I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

It's even cooler if you search the specific address (243 E. Clinton Ave). My version of google earth brings me to a house on that street with a large tree in the yard, which unfortunately, you can't tell whether it's a rowan or not.
            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

hmmm... I get a strange feeling that we had fun discussing those Google Earth pins when they first came out. You can also see the school that Nita and Kit would likely attend, and a whole assortment of other things.

One of the things that came up in that previous discussion was whether that really is (and to use a quote from the test podcast) "... my [DD's] old stomping grounds". It would be cool if it was, and would certainly help create the level of realism that DD writes with.

Comment

I'd forgotten about this. Just spent a while nosing about the .kmz having a look at the places marked. The Long Island shore has clearly suffered some development over the years. I hadn't appreciated until now just how central Grand Central Station is, nor that the lines running into it were all underground, at least for the last stretch.
                -- Rick.

Comment

I looked up the places on the moon that she mentions in the books, on Google Earth, and actually found a few of them like the Spring lake and the Eastern Sea.
                  "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Specking of Google Earth, I looked up 243 E Clinton in Roosevelt NY, which is on Long Island, almost exactly where it should be in relation to N.Y. city and the trains and everything. The house even appears to be a two story house. DD really does her research.

Comment

its not working do you have to put them in a certain order?

Comment

What isn't working? I just downloaded the Google Earth .kmz file Kathy pointed to, and loaded it into Google Earth. There are points in London, various parts of Eire, the Atlantic, and all around Long Island and Manhatten.
                        -- Rick.

Comment

Working...
                        X