Resonance - other stories you think about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonance - other stories you think about

So, the more I read, and re-read, and study, and write essays, and discuss stories, the more I find myself being reminded of this or that story while reading some other story. For example, I'm reading the new millenium edition of SYWTBAW and smack in the middle of Kit's & Nita's first spell prep I am reminded of Narnian talking trees and the bare dry space on the ground in the middle of winter in the closest part of the forest.

Or, while Nita is talking to the tree in her back yard, I am hearing this resonance with "The Giving Tree".

And then one can hardly help thinking of a TARDIS (and Narnia again) at the mention of a thing's insides possibly being bigger than its outsides...

OK, and then there's the name of the Larch that is mad at Kit for trying to work out a spell. Teleri-larch? Teleri? As in Tolkien's Teleri?

So, I'd be curious to know which (if any) other stories you catch glimpses of, or are reminded of, when reading SYWTBAW.

silver pen...

So I've been (re)reading The Hobbit for an online class* and came across this, which resonated quite strongly the other direction with SYWTBAW:

It seems all the best stories flow in and out of one another in my mind (and who's to say? Perhaps in the author's mind, too) like waters mixing and eddying...

*Mythgard Institute Quite worth checking out if you haven't already.
    Last edited by SpacePen; March 20, 2013, 03:33:41 AM. Reason: footnote

Comment

Working...
    X