Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Millenium version of So You Want To Be A Wizard discussion (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Millenium version of So You Want To Be A Wizard discussion (SPOILERS)

I may be in the minority here, but when I read the book I had the problem where I liked the changes to the book a lot but also felt that they introduced themes and ideas that aren't ever ... addressed in the book again. I think the problem was that the changes were good and I enjoyed them, but that there weren't enough changes made.

First up, Dairine's kindle. Taken on its own, I genuinely liked the fact that Dairine uses a kindle whereas Nita reads paper books as it is a really neat way of showing the differences between the two sisters without making a big deal about it. It makes sense that Dairine would read her books off her kindle as opposed to reading paper books and foreshadows her character development in later books. The problem for me was that Dairine was walking about with a kindle while we had just been told that Nita's parents were so cash strapped that for her birthday she received clothes. Nita is seriously the unfavourite child!

While I was kidding about the unfavourite child remark, Nita's dad in particular does come across as unnecessarily heavy handed when dealing with her post-run in with Joanne. It seems a bit unreasonable to tell a girl to turn around and punch someone after they literally broke the glasses on her face. And yet, no-one broaches the obvious question of "well, why not ask the girl who broke the glasses to pay for their replacement?" This isn't to say that I don't like the glasses -- I think they're actually kind of cute! -- but that their introduction and subsequent breakage (and the way that it is handled) seems a little bit bizarre. Even a one line remark about how they had tried getting Joanne to pay for the replacement in the past and it never worked out might have fixed up that plot hole, I think.

That said, I have to admit finding it very true to adolescence to have Nita be more focused on getting her space pen back than fixing her glasses with wizardry. Nita has priorities and I can respect that! Even if I find them hilarious.

I also liked that the manuals have the cellphone interface that we're used to in the later books, with Nita and Kit being able to use them to talk to one another. But the thing that baffled me was with this introduction ... why does Kit call Nita on the landline at the end. It could just be me, but I don't even know people's landline numbers nowadays; I have their mobiles programmed into my phone and I don't even have a landline phone! I'm also not sure why Nita's books are getting stamped out - my local (tiny) library went across to computers in around 1992. Maybe things are different in NY?

Again, I want to stress that I really did enjoy the changes! I thought a lot of them were cute and interesting and I enjoyed the little insights into the characters. I just felt that there weren't enough changes! I still love the book a lot and it was worth the time I spent reading it.

I agree that the Kindle is a mistake. In May 2008 the only Kindle available was the original Kindle 1, and cost $399.

Nita has always had glasses. The new bit in this edition is that her glasses get broken and not replaced. And yet no mention is made of the problems a lack of glasses will cause - such as poor distance vision. Once we've had the lack of glasses used to show that the oath is genuinely magical (being in sharp focus when it should be fuzzy because of lack of glasses), her glasses and vision problems are never mentioned again.

Both these problems can be fixed. The Kindle reference should just be deleted. For the glasses, Nita's father can patch up her glasses. Or she could use her old pair (not quite as good, but a lot better than no glasses). But there should be some mention if them.

Comment

I honestly don't mind the kindle! It's an anachronism if we go by the timeline, but taking it out for the purposes of strict chronological adherence would, in my opinion, date the books before they're even published in hardcover. While the Kindle 1 would have been what was out in 2008, a reader now who hears "the kindle is far too expensive" would be rather surprised, given that a baseline one is, apparently, around $80 (I'm not certain, Amazon does weird things by "helpfully" giving me prices in AU which don't exactly line up with conversion rates) and not $400. Though now I have horrific consumer desire for the Kindle DX, which is a terrible thing.

I think Nita does squint sometimes during the alt-Manhattan sequence, but it's not as much as you'd think, and then it's completely missed out at the end.

Comment

Not quite sure how I feel about the changes...I know I'm a serious traditionalist, but still. I've read the book so many times that the little changes throw me off! It feels like every other sentence is different, and it doesn't flow like I'm used to...but it's probably just me!

With the glasses, I agree there are several ways she could have solved it-tape (Harry potter style), or, hey magic! She did just get her manual =)

With the book-I think Mrs. L just meant she'd stamp the book on Monday, not the card.

But don't just listen to me complain! I was skeptical going in, and it's really not that bad...and some of the changes are really nice =)
        All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Working...
        X