Did you relate to Nita or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you relate to Nita or not?

When you first read So You Want To Be A Wizard?

Since the text follows her most consistently and it is her story which starts it I think that that is a question we would all have an answer to.

In some respects I could, being something of a bookworm when I was a boy and having had trouble with school bullies. However, even when I was 13 and younger I would never have thought of my personal enemies by their first names and would never ever have wanted to establish any common interests with them. I grew more dissimilar to Nita during adolescence which came after my discovery of the series! And very different indeed in young adulthood *grimaces*

I'm similar to Nita in the ways that I love plants, and sometimes I do talk to them occasionally ; I tend to read for hours on end, nonstop as a matter of fact; I still listen to the occasional 80s music, and I did have a few bullies on my back, and actually I somehow ended up befriending a few of them once we started talking; I tend to like dark/mysterious/sketch boys like Ronan; I also tend to call my sister names like 'shorty' and 'kiddo' (just a habit really) so I identified with Nita pretty well. Hey did you identify with Kit moreso? I somewhat could identify myself with Kit too.
    Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

I very much related to Nita. I was (and still am) a huge nerd. I love books, was always more than a little different from the people in my class, and didn't really have any friends in school. I had a best friend who lived in my neighborhood, but we never went to the same school.
      In school I was always trying to find a way to fit in, but I never really did. I just didn't go to school with people who were even remotely like me until grade 6/7. That was when I started meeting people who loved to make up stories and adventures, and play really lame games.
      The only thing is, while I was harassed, it never really got to a physical level (other than stupid stuff like shoving me into a random bus seat with a random guy once. -__-)

Comment

The story focuses on Nita a good deal more than on Kit and really it is as much from her perspective as a third person narrative can be. The only obvious way I can compare my younger self to Kit is by the fact that I did get made fun of for my distinguished voice patterns although I understand that Kit gets made fun of because English is not his first language so it is not precisely the same.

I could certainly relate to Nita not being able to hold her own in a fight and I think I had a little bit of the issue she had with not feeling entitled to resist such oppression very strongly. But then again at the beginning of the book she does not seem to have any desire for anything really horrendous to befall those who beat her up... :\

The matter which struck me right away though was her liking for secluded environments like the library which does not do much business. I was a friend after that fashion with some librarians as well years ago.

Comment

I've had lots of librarians know me... at one school, the librarian put up a manorah at chanukah because she knew I was jewish, and actually let me meet the author of a book she knew I liked - despite the fact that only those who actually owned a copy were supposed to be allowed in.

Kit most likely has a lot of relatable qualities, but Nita is the kind of girl anyone can connect too, easily, so of course the story centers on her.
          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Don't you agree that all librarians would fall over themselves for an acquaintance like me though? Nita's likeable but not quite that much!

Everyone else considered the school librarians to be boring and useless and made no secret of it, but the librarians remembered me as a cherished memory years later.
            I wonder exactly what the librarian thinks of Nita.

Comment

I always related to Nita when I was younger...again, the whole bookish thing, obviously, and spending a ridiculous amount of time in the library, avoiding bullies (although mine was a school library. The librarians knew that, although I rarely talked, I would not cause any trouble if they just let me sit in peace and read.)

Another thing was feeling powerless against the people who were picking on me. You feel like there is nothing you can do to stop them; asking them to stop never stopped, violence wouldn't have fixed it (and anyway, he weighed about twice what I weigh now, which is 40 pounds more than I weighed at the time), and going to teachers/guidance counselors never helped either. I liked how Nita got her "revenge" (although it's hardly revenge) simply by becoming more confident, and wish I could have figured out how to do that when I was younger.

Looking back, Nita was one of the only characters I truly identified with 100% when I was younger, because she really was so much like me. Only she had cool magical powers.

Comment

I identify with Nita pretty well, which is odd because I almost never identify with main characters. I'm nerdy, bookish, and get teased. (Though not beaten up, I fight better than them.) Librarians love me, my school librarians know me pretty well since I've taken to hiding in the library after school, (I hate crowds). The main difference is I'm more forceful than Nita, (I have a bad habit of picking fights by making sarcastic remarks, usually with teachers of all people.)
                -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
                -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
                -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

YW series is written well enough that i can understand, but it has very little relation with my life. Still i think that's part of my attraction to the series. Bullies end up rather bloodied if they get in my way, i read any book i come across in a few days, then i stop reading for a while. I was never in a school like hers, and im not really like her at all.

Although i do only have a few really close friends, and a little sister.
                  Last edited by zilvox; April 27, 2009, 10:10:07 PM.
                  There is always a price, but who pays it is optional.

Comment

Actually, I think I related more to Dairine than to Nita when I first read SYWTBAW. I did relate to the book/words side of Nita. But I was a bratty kid sister and I read X-Men comics religiously at the time that the book came out, so when Dairine was described as reading them, too, that was pretty much it for me.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I related a little with Nita her like of books but i relate with her sister becuase i am girly and Nita isn't really so I relate to both of them somewhat. I also relate to Nita becuase i have a friends thats a boy and we are just friends and the kids would bug us about it but they stopped for the most part

Comment

I guess I can identify with Kit somewhat; somtimes, I just wish certain people at my school would just leave me be and go on with their own lives. I don't have any older siblings though, so I don't know how I would treat them, but the way Kit deals with his older sisters sounds pretty reasonable.

I really like plants and stuff, just like Nita, and I can relate to her relationship with Dairine. I also really like reading and recently started reading into astronomy.
                        "To see a candle's flame, you must take it to a dark place." - The Farthest Shore

Comment

As soon as I read the first page or so, I felt like the book was written about me except for the fact that no one has chased me like that. I used to live on Long Island and spend most of my time in the library. I also used to talk to trees. (Sometimes I still do...)
                          2 Saxy 4 u 2 Handel...

Comment

Yeah, I relate to Nite ALOT. But about the manual, I'm more like Dairine in that part.
                            "I don't want you thinking you're having harmless clothes-and-hair-and-pop-star talk with some alien girloid, and then have Earth get invaded because it turns out you were actually taking to some twelve-legged methane-breathing centipede prince who's decided to turn up with a battle fleet and demand your hand in marriage!" -*Kit, WH

Comment

I somewhat relate to Nita...I'm a bookaholic.
                              Last edited by estar9821; August 20, 2011, 09:07:43 PM.
                              "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Working...
                              X