Replaced stolen/lost first edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced stolen/lost first edition

A couple of weeks ago, I checked ABEBooks.com to see what copies of the original edition of SYWtBaW were going for. For the most part, they were $45 and up, with one signed copy going for over $300.

However, there was one listed for only $25, in fine copy with fine dust jacket. I grabbed it. It just showed up on my desk, and not only is the dust jacket wrapped in plastic, but there's a press release from Delacorte folded up inside. So, except for doing without it for 10 years, and having to stalk Diane for another autograph, I made out like a bandit. :-) (I just bought a paperback copy for routine use -- this one is staying safe. :-) )
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Wow, Garrett; you really did make out wicked lucky on that one!

Maybe eventually I can get one of my books signed. It depends if DD is ever within a reasonable enough distance that my mom, dad, and I could simply drive there.... I'm sure that this will happen eventually in my life.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

I want a special book! I have a copy of "Outside Over there", and it's around thirty years old, but it's not special. Or at least not that special.
      I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

i think EVERYONE wants a special book, just so taht they could say it...but its hard (and usually expenive) to get one, you know! otherwise a lot more people would have them. and gerret, you WERE lucky. *would be jealous, but i wouldn't be able to take care of it well most likely*
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I happen to take excellent care of my books. Books that I've had since like 2000 look like I got them yesterday, smell new, and generally look like I've never read them. I would love to have a special book. But like someone mentioned earlier I don't know if DD will be near driving distance of my home within in my lifetime.
          Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
          Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

i kinda WISH i could take care of books that well...every time i get a book, it seems to fall apart. sometimes, it falls apart before i even GET it int he first place! (though in that case, i can usually claim it's not my fault for obvious reasons. :P)
            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

*saves the topic* Wow Garrett, thats awesome. Its always puzzled me why there's such a variation in price for them on abebooks. That being said, I paid $4 from ebay for my SYWTBAW hardcover - and $5 for my copy of HW.

Is there anything interesting on the press release?

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793:
                Maybe eventually I can get one of my books signed. It depends if DD is ever within a reasonable enough distance that my mom, dad, and I could simply drive there....
                Diane was scheduled to show up in Seattle a couple of years ago, and I was looking forward to introducing her to my Ael and vice versa -- but then the incident with the luggage cart happened. :-(

Originally posted by alla:
                Is there anything interesting on the press release?
                Nothing I hadn't seen before, but I can't speak for everyone else. I'll try to remember to post it to this thread sometime, after I get the internet at home paid and reconnected...
                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
                X