Tom's Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom's Job

This is from the chapter from Research and Development. In my book it's on page 46, it's when Nita and Kit just meet Tom and Carl and are asking about what they do for jobs.

"Oh, sure, we work. I write for a living--after all, some of the things I see in the Buisness make good stories..." -Tom

I know that the books are not true, I wish they were, but they're not and I know it. I just found that qoute interesting because to me that could be Diane Duane's little hint to people who notice it, that it could be real.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong section of the forum.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    People around the world are like ongiri. Everyone has an umeboshi with with a different shape and color and flavor. But because it's stuck on their back... they might not be able to see their umeboshi. Maybe that's the reaso

I never thought of that, it's a very good point. Yes, it is in the right section.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    **Neets**
    CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

Anything is in the right section these days....
      Good point. I never thought of that..... makes sense though... *raises eyebrows*
      *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

that is a very interesting point....

You don't suppose *looks around nervously*
        ... But he was looking through the window at the one joy from which he must be forever barred.

Comment

Wait, are you implying that Tom secretly writes all the books, and uses DD as a front?
          ---
          How cheerfully we consign ourselves to perdition...

Comment

Tom is a real person, you know.

Oh, you didn't know? DD worked with him on the Scooby and Scrappy-Doo show. Decide for yourself how relevant that show might be .
            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Hehe... Nightvol, have you ever watched the Scooby and Scrappy Doo show? Think of characters.. Scrappy and Dairine perhaps

And Tom isn't the only character based on a real person. Theres a discussion on it somewhere, hold on... This one mentions Lee (our wonderful admin) and a couple of other people/things towards the end and I'm pretty sure that there is some discussion of other characters based on people (or other characters) in The Man at the Bar topic. I will never read High Wizardry in the same way. I can't stop giggling when I read that bit XD.

Anyway, if you do a bit more digging, you might be able to find some more stuff that has been mentioned before. I'm sure there is an actual topic on it.. or maybe I'm just imagining things.

Alla

Comment

Wouldn't it be something to coincidentally run into the real Tom Swale one day. The part of me that wants to believe all of this is real would probably pass out.

Great point though, I've never really thought of it that way!
                "All Death Eaters must be proficient in the Dark Arts: murder, Unforgivable Curses, yodeling etc."
                -So You Want to be a Death Eater

----------------------
                'Creator of Sonderwear'
                -----------------------

Comment

I don't remember a Scrappy in the books or a Darine in the show. However, there is a talking dog in the books, and a Daphne in the show. So perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Could you please explain what you mean?
                  ---
                  How cheerfully we consign ourselves to perdition...

Comment

In chat once, DD said she and Scrappy were contemporaries.

Diane Duane You can just hear the Lone Power at the end of W@W...
                    Diane Duane "And I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for these pesky kids!!"
                    Peter Murray *tries to remember the scene with Dairine in a crate being dropped on a railway platform*
                    Diane Duane (snort)
                    Sunstar you really ought to put that in
                    Diane Duane Oh, don't tempt me. It's too much like that already.
                    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

i guess it's possible. probable, actually, i mean, what better way is there to get a reader into the world of the books then to plant the suggestion it could be real.
                      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                      X