The Man at the Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Man at the Bar

"The man at the bar" is, of course, the man in the "fawn-coloured" jacket who helps Dairine out when she's nearly cornered by the BEM's at The Crossings. I have my own thoughts, but who do you think it was?

And the Dragon's song, so wild and strong,
    Fell from the sky like rain
    Upon my soul; which, watered well,
    Bloomed with a joy no words can tell
    Where once was a dusty plain.

-A verse from the Song of the Winged Ones

*Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

Oh Yeah! That guy, I don't know...mabye he was Dairine's future husband or boyfriend. or mabye he is a evil monkey in disguise of a man at a bar plotting to turn Dairine into a monkey and force her to be his queen. (Okay I'm being very imaginitive at the moment.)

The monkey made me do it!
      ~Z~
      penguins will rule the world.

Comment

I think he may have been Roshaun.

*Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
        *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
        *Many have come and gone so we need to leave a ripple before this planet is washed away- Devin
        *Many have come and gone but few are here to stay-Devin
        *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
        *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
        *Many have come and go

Comment

*Agent~M*
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
          "I could live

Comment

Didn't someone tell me that he was a character from Star Trek or Dr. Who or something?

I, personally, suspect that he's just a random guy off the street. IT's just supposed to show that in a world with a lot of evil, there's also a lot of good.

I actually had something really similar happen to me (minus the BEM's and intergalactic travel). I was really upset about my grades, my boy friend, my life, etc, and I was sitting in a park near my house, and this girl I'd never met, came and talked to me. She just did it to be nice. People do stuff like that alot, and I don't think that you ever quite forget it.

A Jedi Ewok
            And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and *almost* a new driver...
            A physics geek
            And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

Well, I think M is right - it definitely said that the guy was human, and we also know that it wasn't someone who turns out to be a later character because it says that "She never found out anything about the man who helped her. Nor did he ever find out anything more about her." FireWitch is on to what I was thinking of: personally, his description reminded me of Luke Skywalker, although I don't necessarily think that's who it was.

[This message was edited by Onua Wingstar on 06 March 2004 at 9:39.]

Comment

Actually, he wasn't drinking. He was pretending to drink... I think the drink was mentioned to be an iced tea... and put on "the most credible drunk act Dairine had ever seen..." (roughly. I don't have HW handy right now).

Although I don't think it was Roshaun, either... didn't the man have light brown hair...? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

It was really funny, though--a friend and I were trying to think of "alternate pairings" for YW (it's this funfun little demi-game whereby you take a book with very few couples, preferably including the fandom, and try to think of the weirdest pairings possible, working your way from the most obvious upward...can be played alone or in a group, and is interesting when spending large amounts of time in a vehicle of some sort and/or high on caffiene (sp?). Although there's this other fun matching game that actually IS a game, whereby you write down a big list of peope, divide by two and number, and then write names down as you eliminate MASH-style...), and "Dairine x Guy-In-Soft-Browns" was one of them...

I am Lionfish. HEAR ME ROA-- ....um, bubble. Blub, blub. *sweatdrop*

If you can't spell my name, go ahead and call me semi or S-chan. I don't mind, really.

Visit my deviantart site at semiramis.deviantart.com ^.^v!

Comment

Ummmm, Onua, never call <whisper>marniebrown1</whisper> by that name. She hates it. It's Agent M or just M. It's a long story. And I promise I won't tell her you did.

Anyway, I think FireWitch's explanation about good and evil hit it right on the head. It sounds like the most probable thing and DD is very famous for putting little things like that in her stories.

I will rejoice in the moonlight;
                  I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
                  For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.
                  I will rejoice in the moonlight;
                  I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
                  For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

Actually, this has been discussed before, but I don't remember quite where. The gentleman at the bar is, in fact, the fifth incarnation of the Doctor, from Doctor Who; the description is just enough to clue in any Whovians reading it, and the Doctor is always pulling folks out of scrapes. It's not the first time Ms. Duane has had him show up in her stories, either, though I believe it is the first time in the Wizard books.

Comment

Comment

*Agent~M*
                        "I could live

Comment

Fred's NamE...
                          I think I remember reading that...

What made me think twice was in some point, DD wrote something about "one of thousands of other hominids traveling around the universe..." [not calling him human, just hominds] either that means that no other species calls themselves human, or this guy most certainly isn't.
                          A good piccie of the doctor can be found at http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/ta...fth_doctor.jpg
                          “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
                          -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Quill View Post
                            Actually, this has been discussed before, but I don't remember quite where. The gentleman at the bar is, in fact, the fifth incarnation of the Doctor, from Doctor Who; the description is just enough to clue in any Whovians reading it, and the Doctor is always pulling folks out of scrapes. It's not the first time Ms. Duane has had him show up in her stories, either, though I believe it is the first time in the Wizard books.
                            I watch Doctor Who, and I read this particular scene with the Man in the Bar several times over to make sure I was looking at it right and I thought, this is too good to be a mistake... it WAS a reference?? I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                            X