Dairine a computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dairine a computer?

If Dairine is a 'computer' why can't Nita learn Basic or something and program Dairine? It would be kind of funny if she could:
    Nita said some words in Basic to Dairine. The Dairine ran up the steps and went to sleep.

Well...it could be funnier...

[This message was edited by Avi on 29 November 2003 at 15:49.]
    Webmaster of Marauders Magic.com (Harry Potter site)
    Webmaster of Schoolz Out.com

Was there a point to this post?

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
    --Agent M
    Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I thought it was kind of humorous... oh well...

Comment

Sorry, that was a littel ahrsh of me, wasn;t it? Sorry. I like to think of myself as a _nice_ person, so just ignore me.

However, in the nicest possible way; well, it was a little purposeless....

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
        --Agent M
        Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Originally posted by Avi:
          If Dairine is a 'computer' why can't Nita learn Basic or something and program Dairine?
          Uh...most likely because Dairine is not a computer. She may have some affinities with them. But she's a human being.

Additionally, it seems to me that wizards generally would frown on the idea of "programming" other human beings to do stuff just because it was "funny". ...And in any case, you'd need something a lot more complex and powerful than Basic. Sheesh, even I can program in Basic. It's no big deal any more (if indeed it ever was).

-- DD
          -- DD

Comment

ok anyhow I was feeding off of what Dairine said in High Wizardry "I'm going to have to get used to being a computer" mainly I wrote this topic and it came to mind because I was excited about my account being confirmed.

[This message was edited by Avi on 30 November 2003 at 8:58.]

Comment

Somehow, I can't help thinking that you'd need at least C to program Dairine, but that it's more likely she's a Perl script that no one could read, let alone hack. Sigh. If only she were Python.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Comment

You'd probably need a complex set of symbols that, when read by a human being, could alter their perceptions and beliefs about the world. The interface would probably be either visual or aural, as those are the human senses with the highest bandwidth.

Nah, it's not possible. No one could ever do something like that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some books I should be reading...

To be wise, learn foolishness. To be strong, learn weakness. To know joy, learn sorrow.
                  Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
                  Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

Or do as Nita did and find her kernel. The way she did for her mom. That would be my guess as to where you would find her software. Her Heart or her Soul
                    **Deja Moo**
                    Dia :evillaugh:
                    Dai Stihó

Comment

Comment

the thing is though that dari is not a computer but a human being (mostly)
                        busy reading

Comment

DD herself has already said that, in the fifth post in this topic.

In general, you should avoid writing posts that are too short "one-liners", as they (somehow) add more to DD's costs in running this board. (Also, you'll get yelled at in posts by other people.)
                          Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

While it would be kind of funny if Nita could do that to Darine, Darine is not a computer. She just happens to be connected to them. Besides, if Nita could just reprogram her sister at will, there'd be no conclict between them, no point in Darine being who she is. It would ruin the entire storyline.
                            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                            X