Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FocusPunch
    replied
    I have also been wondering if there is a publication estimate for this one. I can't wait for when it does come out.

Leave a comment:

• GoddessShashini
    replied
    update?

First off.. I LOVE YW!!! I picked up my first copy of So You Want To Be A Wizard from that Scholastic catalog thingy in school at least 13 years ago.

that being said.. Are we going to be getting any sort of update any time soon? The last update I can find anywhere was the release of the title over 6 months ago. I'm rereading the series again to hold me over, but some news would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• lifini
    replied
    Originally posted by Gorramshiny View Post
    ...it's interesting to see how many of us hold onto Young Wizards into our adulthood.
    I started reading the YW series by at least the seventh grade, likely earlier. Now I have graduated from college and am working on writing a book of my own. Currently I am sitting on my bed and staring at my copy of AWoM on my bookshelf, as preordered in England while I studied abroad there, because I could not wait to have it despite the weight it added to my suitcase. I'm excited for the next one and will always keep reading them. (Although, not sure I would call myself an adult just yet, despite having just made my first student loan payments... )

Many books take us into different worlds or give us a different way of seeing our own, but the YW books give us an entire universe: our own, crystallized and expanded, where the fight against the evil around us and the evil inside us suddenly makes perfect sense. Science is magic, nature is magic, people are magic, if we just look hard enough and listen hard enough. I think this is what enthralled me as a child and will continue to enthrall me.

Leave a comment:

• Stellazira
    replied
    A new book? Oh my, I feel like I'm not keeping up with things around here. :x :P I'll be on the lookout when it's released.

Leave a comment:

• Gorramshiny
    replied
    When I first saw the title, I immediately thought of the Alan Parsons Project song "Games People Play". I looked up the lyrics and figured the first verse/chorus kinda applied (didn't want to post the rest, it'd be too long that way, and this makes my point well enough).
    If there's no-one to lend us a hand

I don't wanna live here no more
    I don't wanna stay
    Ain't gonna spend the rest of my life
    Quietly fading away

Games people play, you take it or you leave it
    Things that they say, honor brite
    If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
    Games people play in the middle of the night

I thought it applied pretty well to where Nita and Kit are at this point in their lives. They're getting to a place where things aren't anywhere near as black-and-white as they were and they're getting into, for lack of a better phrase, "the big bad world". At least, that's what I got from what Tom or Carl (can't remember which) said at the end of AWoM. Other speculation (or discrediting of the idea) is more than welcome.

And it's interesting to see how many of us hold onto Young Wizards into our adulthood. I'm moving into my freshman year of college tomorrow and YW is still part of my life.

Leave a comment:

• FocusPunch
    replied
    I can't help it. Too many romance comedy movies. "games" leads me to think of romance. And of the TriWizard Tournament (what, I'm a fantasy fan! YW is my favorite). I read briefly about the book, and I'm VERY excited for it! Ha, I'm a sophmore in college now, and I remember finding I think the fourth one, in middle school, around six years ago. It's a series worth sticking around for. These will be my kids' bedtime stories some day.

I actually didn't understand, nor have the attention span to want to understand, a lot of the stuff that went on in the books when I was younger. Little details that I REALLY enjoy now. I've reread many of the books several times now.

Leave a comment:

• 96bookworms
    replied
    pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase!!!!!!!! See, I've just gotten back from south africa/paris......and I haven't checked the webpage in a while. Can I just say that I am Sooooooooooooooooooo glad I picked this time to do it?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• BeowulfMacCool
    replied
    Originally posted by running_alone View Post
    I'm also hoping to head out there for grad school. Funny how life works out, isn't it?
    Count me in as another Young Wizards fan/grad student. I've loved these books since I found "So You Want To Be A Wizard" in my elementary school library, some 15 or 16 years ago. Right now I'm just finishing off a marathon re-read of the entire series.

The title and blurb have me all excited. Given the notion of wizardly games, can we expect any references to "The Wounded Sky," or even "X-Com"?

Leave a comment:

• running_alone
    replied
    Originally posted by Reading Redhead View Post
    Went squeeing to a friend about the title. Her first response: "You mean like Quidditch?" No, no, wrong wizards, these ones are cooler. My mind actually went straight to wondering about the chapter title motif -- could it possibly be names of games? Dairine, Roshaun, and "hide and seek" just keep swimming around in my head!

Also retweeted. I've been following these books since I was in elementary school, now I'm headed off to grad school in New York in the fall, something I suspect I wouldn't have considered without the intervention of certain wizards at crucial moments along the way.
    I fell in love with New York when I started these books, as well. Now I love it for many other reasons, but YW is where it all started. I'm also hoping to head out there for grad school. Funny how life works out, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Wizarding Monkey
    replied
    Yesssssssss!!!

WAHOOOOOOOOO!!! I am so excited to hear that the 10th book has been named! I've been a fan since before the 7th book was out in paperback! I remember the looooooooooooooooooong wait for book 9... I've been here since around 2004! Man... I feel kind of old now. LOL I can't wait until, if this does happen that is, the ARCs start to have the winners... Being able to read AWoM as an ARC had to have been my best Christmas present that year... LOL I... I... Ohhhhhh.... Is it bad that I also met my boyfriend in Cedric? My 6 year long boyfriend... We are going on knowing each other 7 years and dating 7 years too... Ohhhhh... This is going to be a GREAT GREAT time!! :-D

Leave a comment:

• PosiCat
    replied

Wow, 10 books already, it seems just moments ago I was holding the "Support your local wizard" edition of the first 3 books in my hands hoping there might be a 4th book. There's been a lot of life in between, on both sides of the pages. Congratulations on hitting book #10, and if you keep writing them, I'll keep reading them.

Dai stiho!

Leave a comment:

• Trialia
    replied
    Yay, book 10!

Leave a comment:

• sharklord
    replied
    Through miraculous coincidence, I happened to be looking at twitter (something I almost never pay that much attention to), and low and behold I see the most awesome thing ever. #epicwinning.

Also, I think wizards should play Khet (google it, it's awesome--think "chess-like game with lasers") with stronger lasers and tiny worldgates instead of mirrors.

Though it's been a while since I've been around actively (ha, now people who came after me are talking about how they've been away for a while--man I feel old) it's nice to see thinks are still perky over here! And yes, it seems I still have a problem with the overuse of parentheses haha.

Leave a comment:

• summer-breeze01
    replied
    Wow, logging on for the first time in an extremely long time (yeah, I thought finally after a super-busy senior year I was going to have a life (read: time to hang out in internet forums) in college. Whoops). And although it took me a while to remember my login information, it was totally worth it because you guys have been graced once again with my wonderful presence!

Anyway, enough of that. This is super-exciting news! Of course I've already re-tweeted (question: how does that work since my username here doesn't match up with that one), and now I'm looking forward to reading everyone's reactions and all the speculation about what the plot will be!

Besides, not that I've ever needed one since I was given the first two books for my 10th birthday, but I now have a handy excuse for a YW reread for possible clues!
    Last edited by summer-breeze01; June 20, 2011, 11:22:55 PM. Reason: there's always something I forget to add before I post things...

Leave a comment:

• Reading Redhead
    replied
    Went squeeing to a friend about the title. Her first response: "You mean like Quidditch?" No, no, wrong wizards, these ones are cooler. My mind actually went straight to wondering about the chapter title motif -- could it possibly be names of games? Dairine, Roshaun, and "hide and seek" just keep swimming around in my head!

Also retweeted. I've been following these books since I was in elementary school, now I'm headed off to grad school in New York in the fall, something I suspect I wouldn't have considered without the intervention of certain wizards at crucial moments along the way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X