This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The title of YW Book 10: it's time for the announcement

Tomorrow is June 21st. As many of you will know, this was going to be when the New Millennium edition of So You Want to Be a Wizard was supposed to launch. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen: the artist and I have found ourselves mired in production issues that mean the release of the book is going to have to be kicked into mid-July.

"So here I am with nothing exciting to announce," I thought. "Very disappointing."

And then I thought again, as it occurred to me that there is a vital piece of info which the fandom does not yet possess. And what better time to turn it loose?

But a few words of explanation first...

It's not often that I find myself writing a book without the title having been one of the very first things that occurred to me. But in the case of YW #10, this hasn't been the way things worked out.

It wasn't that there was any question of the general plot. That had been clear in my mind since around mid-2008. But I wasn't sure about the title, because I wasn't sure it might not change while I was working.

However, I'm now sufficiently far along in the book production process that I know the title's now unlikely to change. (Meaning that the book is now in its final grooming stages before sending the first draft off to the publisher. I am not willing at this point to discuss possible release dates, so don't ask me.)

Anyway, this being the case, I think I can safely announce the title now. ...But let's have a little fun first.

At the moment it's coming up on 6 PM UK / Irish time. So I'm going to announce the title here in the Forums, in a new thread, at 00:01 AM BST (that's 11:01 UT: or JD 2455733.50095 if you're handling your time Young Wizards style). Lee will have the YW Forums Twitter "bot" send out a Tweet about the announcement when it happens.

Then, tomorrow evening sometime, I'll post the book's blurb, revealing something about the plot. That should give everyone something to talk about for a little while. (I'm discussing with Lee the logistics of -- after the upcoming Forum upgrade -- the installation of some custom conferencing software so we can have an online Q&A about the new book in a couple/few weeks.)

More to the point, though: Book 10 has a lot of wizards in it. Maybe not the huge crowds of them that we saw or were dealing with in Wizards at War: but a lot. So I have room for some guest roles. I'd say five.

If you'd like to be one of those guest wizards -- by which I mean a character based on you -- then all you have to do is retweet the YW Forums bot's tweet between (my) midnight tonight and (my) midnight tomorrow. When the twenty-four hours are over, I'll ask Lee to use the random-number picker at Random.org to pick five of the retweets. Two of the winning places will be reserved for Forum members: three of them will be available either to Forum members or the general public.

So go have fun with this, and we'll talk tomorrow!
    Last edited by Diane Duane; June 20, 2011, 05:29:48 PM. Reason: An inability to count. :)
    -- DD

Thank you.

I am very pleased to hear that the 10th book is getting there and will be in our hands in the foreseeable future.

I may even do the re-tweet thing which I never do ( even though I have 6 followers including yourself.)

Comment

Wow, cool! I can't wait

And now what I'm about to say will make me sound like a complete Luddite and/or epic Internet fail, but . . . what exactly is a re-tweet?? (I think it has something to do with Twitter - so proud of myself for having worked that out) - but how does this work?

(Will . . . never . . . live . . . this . . . down . . .)

Thanks,
      LifeSong

Comment

Wow!

That is so incredibly exciting to hear! Especially the bit about getting to be in the book, even if only passingly. I'm looking forward to this forum getting more active once we have something new to sink our teeth into.

Oh, Lifesong, a retweet is basically when you post someone's tweet on Twitter as your own. Either press the retweet button (hover over a tweet and you should see it, along with reply and favourite) or copy and paste it into your own tweet, putting RT at the beginning. DD did this about this announcement:

dduane: Yup. RT @YoungWizForums: #YoungWizards bk 10 title announced tonight: win 1 of 5 character roles in book! The title of YW Book 10: it's time for the announcement
        Does that make any sense? If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask. It took me months on Twitter, seeing people start tweets with RT, before I realized the correlation between that and the elusive 'retweet'.

Comment

Here's a question: How do we know if the re-tweeter is a forum member? That's what I'm wondering most. In other news, this is so exciting! There's nothing I've been a fan of for as long as the Young Wizards, so the fact that we're still plugging along makes me so happy.

Comment

Gracious, I'm excited. Ive been waiting for this to be announced (especially since the FAQ page said it would be announced along with the paperback of AWoM, which regretfully did not happen)!

I swore to myself a long time ago I wouldn't ever get a Twitter (I always thought it was pointless, see), but this kind of changes things. ;D

You see something, and you say "Why?"
            But I dream things that never were, and I say "Why not?"

Comment

Lack of Twitter?

I'm guessing that if we don't have a Twitter account we can't enter? Oh, well. I look forward to the announcement anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by running_alone View Post
                Here's a question: How do we know if the re-tweeter is a forum member? That's what I'm wondering most.
                Seconded. My twitter handle and my forums username are nothing alike so searching the forum members wouldn't work...

Comment

Originally posted by Finny View Post
                  I'm guessing that if we don't have a Twitter account we can't enter? Oh, well. I look forward to the announcement anyway!
                  Same . . . I could use my sister's, but . . . after thinking about it, it may be more fun to watch and see who wins from the sidelines. *Sends good luck vibes to people*

Comment

Ael and I both entered. I can hardly wait to see how Diane deals with it if her random number is the one that comes up. :-)

I had asked Diane during Big Meow about auctioning off character naming rights for charity -- gotta admit, I prefer contests where I do free advertising instead of having to come up with cash. :-)
                    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Here's a question: How do we know if the re-tweeter is a forum member? That's what I'm wondering most.
                      This!

Also, congratulations on dragging me back to the forums again :P
                      ---
                      How cheerfully we consign ourselves to perdition...

Comment

Here's a question: How do we know if the re-tweeter is a forum member? That's what I'm wondering most. In other news, this is so exciting! There's nothing I've been a fan of for as long as the Young Wizards, so the fact that we're still plugging along makes me so happy.
                        Well my answer is to say that my twitter account is zz9pzza

Comment

Working...
                        X