more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more?

I'm just curious about how many more books there going to be. Anyone know?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    **Neets**
    CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

In the last chat with DD, she mentioned that the series would be "at least nine" books long. (That's up to A Wizard of Mars). Which probably means that's all that's definite, as in the contracts are signed. That doesn't, however, mean that's All She Wrote. She just isn't writing to a planned number of volumes, like JK Rowling, or Lemony Snicket.

You also have to remember that DD is writing more than just the YW series. She also has a Star Trek novel she's contracted to finish (Empty Throne), the fourth Door book that's been promised to Meisha Merlin, and all the while she's also working on film projects.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

*raising eyebrows and looking sideways at monitor* She is really busy. *shaking head* How does she do it? If I was that busy, I would probably have a permanent headache.

Cheers for DD!
      -----------------------------I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?
      The trouble with life is that you're half-way through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
      I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get bac

Comment

I think part of it *may* be called "paying the bills."

In an interview, she once said that all her animation work is what paid the bills while she was working on SYWTBAW. And that she's a multi-tasker. She likes being able to rotate among projects. I think she's one of those people that solves problems in the background-thinking/sleep, so being able to focus on something else when you've hit a wall helps you come up with a solution.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Thanks. I have always been wondering ever since I started reading the books. I hope she writes alot more. Have any read the other books by DD? Are they good? They probably are, but just want others opinion.
          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
          **Neets**
          CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

Hold it!

*everything skids to a halt*

What is this Wizard of Mars? *moan* God, I really need to come on more! I wish I wasn't so busy! And that freaking media time! *growls at parental units* Maybe it'll be better when school get out (please, please, please let it be SOON--I cannot concentrate anymore!).

Anyway, what do we know about it and/or where can I go to find out more? (UGH I feel like a newbie [no offense newbies but I've been here for a really long time and I feel I should know this stuff!]) I'm assuming it's the book after W@W?
            *Ella*
            "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
            There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
            And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
            What could mean more than this?"
            --Bright Eyes

Comment

Err.. Yes, and Yes.

Ella, yes, Wizard of Mars is the book that DD's writing after Wizards at War. She's apparently already started plotting it. And, of course, DD's been following the Rover news from NASA.

nitafan: I've read most of her other books, and ARE YOU KIDDING? Of course they're good!! However, they aren't the same as YW, so you may want to be careful picking up some of the other titles. The series that's closest to YW, of course, are the Feline Wizard books. There's a whole forum about them on this board. This is definitely the first place to start if you need a chunk of DD-written wizardry before the next new YW novel arrives.

The other recent work by DD's worth finding is Stealing the Elf-King's Roses. You'll find it in the SF section of the bookstore, not YA or Children's.

Of the other books, the Star Trek ones are a treat, and you don't need to be a Trek fan to enjoy them. In fact, reading them may make you a Trekker/Trekkie. I'd recommend starting with Wounded Sky and My Enemy, My Ally.

The "Door"/Middle Kingdoms (or Song of the Five) series books are straight swords'n'sorcery fantasy in the Tolkienesque vein, but are definitely for an adult audience, not YA. They contain more mature subject matter, and full-blown sex scenes, rape, murder, etc. so you may want to hold off on those if it's gonna get you in trouble with the Folks or your nightmares if you read 'em.

Short story-wise, there's a plethora of Duane out there in numerous collections and the occasional comic book.

Comment

May I also recommend the Harbinger trilogy (Starrise at Corrivale, Storm at Eldala, Nightfall at Algemron) and the SpaceCop set (Mindblast, Kill Station, High Moon)? Though I believe the latter trio is out of print, and the former may be, they can sometimes be found in used bookstores.

Comment

I've never managed to make it through Starrise at Corrivale, and the other "franchise" works, like the Spiderman and X-Men novels sort of never rubbed off on me, though they were fun.

Quite enjoyed the Thieves' World stories, though. Different squids for different kids.

Oh. Forgot. The two short stories most closely related to YW would be "Uptown Local" (recently reprinted in the anniversary edition of SYWTBAW, but originally found in a Jane Yolen-edited anthology, Dragons and Dreams) which has Kit and Nita taking the subway; and "Midnight Snack" a story of a young girl who feeds the unicorns living in the NYC subway tunnels.

Comment

Are both of those in the Dragons and Dreams book, kathy?

If so, I need to add it to my amazon.com wishlist.
                    http://superdrea.net/

Comment

No. "Midnight Snack" is in a different collection: Sixteen: Short Stories by Outstanding Authors For Young Adults (or something weird like that). Sixteen should be enough. Edited by Donald R. Gallo.

Both it and Dragons and Dreams are out-of-print, so you'll have to go used book hunting.

Comment

Well, actually, it's Sixteen: short stories by outstanding writers for young adults. hmm, that's grammar's a little ambiguous, it's neat. :P
                        I actually ran into it in the library earlier on this week- kinda surprising. I was browsing, opened the book, checked the auther page- bang!

Uptown Lcal will probably be much more easily found in the SYWTBAW Anniversary edition- Borders carries it, I think or some do, and Barnes and Nobles? Anyway, I got my copy at one of them in Washington. *nod*
                        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Tui, I've been meaning to say: I love your siggy!

Aargh, Poot!
                          *Ella*
                          "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                          There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                          And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                          What could mean more than this?"
                          --Bright Eyes

Comment

Thankies! I can't really take credit, the genius that is Wilfred Owen has that but... yeah, I like it.

I like yours too- the Mark Twain one.
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

OOOh, Midnight SNACK! That was the first thing I ever read by DD. I was totally hooked. Then I saw SYWTBAW, and then I was TOTALLY hooked! Midnight Snack was like someone saying "shhhh," in a comforting, quiet way. Soooo cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X