No announcement yet.

YW Short Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't really mean that (though I don't suppose certain US Presidents would approve); since I was an adult anyway by then, I just read Door Into Fire as another adult novel, one that was recommended by someone in Alarums and Excursions magazine.

So when I bought the YW books, I just viewed them as more Diane Duane books, not as YA ones - I don't think the bookshop put them in a YA section, they were in SF.
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I think I read the "Door" books in eighth grade (at least I remember driving some librarian crazy around that time, looking for _Door Into Starlight_.) It was a good thing I was just getting into Star Trek then, because I seriously needed more Diane Duane books!
      By the way, _Door_ fans should know about this:
      (book banning attempt)
      I doubt it will ever get off the ground, but AAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Comment

Has anyone heard when the fourth Door book might be coming out? I've been hoping to read it for years.
        "Caminante no hay camino. / Se hace camino al andar." (Walker, there is no road. You make the road by walking.) -- Antonio Machado
        "A wild patience has taken me this far." -- Adrienne Rich

Comment

talkingbeast: yeah, scary how we've gone backwards. Reminds me of the UK Clause 27/28, the anti-gay legislation that caused Ian McKellen to out himself, back in the late '80s.

Tui, I agree that I think Door Into Fire is ok as YA material, but some folks aren't so progressive as to think of same-gender sex as being equal with different-gender sex. And Door Into Shadow has a relatively graphic rape scene. While it might be ok with folks who know the difference between YA and Childrens books, there aren't a lot who actually do, darn it. Think of the furor that would happen if a Harry Potter book had a graphic sex scene in it, even a mild one, and then realize what might hit DD, if an anthology of her extant short stories were shelved with the YW books.

Does anybody know the sale numbers on Stealing the Elf-King's Roses vs., say, Wizard's Holiday? That would tell us if it was worth having an anthology shelved over in SF/F...

Taran, Meisha Merlin has erased their date and information for the publication of the fourth book, but it's still on the list. I bug DD about it every "official chat" and she says it's still on the list... Door Into Starlight will be published in an omnibus format with Door Into Sunset, under the blanket title The Lion and the Crown, as Door Into Fire and Door Into Shadow were reprinted in an omnibus under the blanket title, The Dragon and the Sword. Or at least, that's the plan. Obviously, it isn't written yet, and what with YW and Star Trek obligations, it may be a good long while before it will.
          Last edited by Kathy Li; December 19, 2008, 09:23:40 PM.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but in the new editon of SYWTBAW, there's a short story called "Uptown Local(s)" (can't remember), and I think it explained the dinosaurs, also it explains that time from TWD when Nita and her mom are shopping and she says something about them, her mom starts spazzing out, and she thinks, "It's a good thing I didn't tell her about the giant squid".
            I'm crying cuz things aren't how
            they used to be
            she said,
            "The battle's almost won
            and we're only several miles from the sun..."

Comment

Ankaa, yeah, "Uptown Local" is a great YW short story, and a YW-ish-like story is the one about the unicorns in the subway, "Midnight Snack." And a story like, "The Dovrefell Cat" could work for a YA audience. But the majority of DD's short stories, like the Thieves' World stories, or the Sirronde stories, are most assuredly NOT YA-suitable, so an anthology probably couldn't be marketed to the YW fans.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Maybe when Duane-san is done with Wizards at War we'll see a collection of short stories.
                What's all this about these "Door" books? I've never heard of them. I'm interested! Enlighten me! My cucumber is on fire!
                I lurk. It's what I do.
                "Always put off until tomorrow what you can do today."

Comment

The Door books are (so far) about the attempts of Freelorn, the heir to the throne of one of the Middle Kingdoms, to reclaim his throne from a usurper.

They have magic, mediaeval weaponry (swords, bows etc), and some interesting traditions.

I like the books. However, I suppose I ought to point out that the society they're in encourages love between friends - not necessarily male/female couples. Some regulars' parents might have a problem if they read the books and saw that, though it's less obvious than putting the word "Wizardry" in the title.

(And then there's the wedding in one of the books...)

Oh, and they're The Door Into Fire*, The Door Into Shadow (combined as The Sword and the Dragon) and The Door Into Sunset (to be collected with The Door Into Starlight under the title of The Lion and the Door - when the fourth book is ready).

* DD's first book.

Comment

I also remember the dinosaurs in Uptown Local. (Actually, I love that story. I'm having my librarian transfer the anthology just so I can read it again.) I found it in an anthology called Dragons And Dreams. I didn't even know it exsisted at the time. But I remember the dinosaurs.
                    ---------------------------
                    ~
                    And we go on...

Comment

I would love to read some YW short stories, and I absolutely LOVE Uptown Local (I will never look at one of those little jointed fish in the same way). It would be so great if DD had enough material for a collection of stories, but I'm looking more forward to W@W at the moment.

Comment

Hmmm. If W@W is delayed to October 2005 (that was what DD said might happen in the chat, wasn't it?), I wonder if Harcourt would consider short stories in the meantime?

Though maybe they don't have an empty slot in their publishing schedule, despite that. And maybe it's not delayed.

Edit: Oops. This is basically a repeat of what I said a while ago in this topic! Well... the dates have changed. That'll do as an excuse.

Comment

OCTOBER????
                          ::in shock:: dah--dah--eh--
                          (those are my utterances of disbelief)
                          ::sob::
                          I've been saving a giftcard since october so I could buy it in the Spring! nooooo...
                          they used to be
                          she said,
                          "The battle's almost won

Comment

There there. At least you aren't waiting for the fourth Door book like some of us. :-) We've only been waiting a dozen years since the last one.

(Kli repeats herself, to keep PM company).

Comment

I didn't even know teh Door series existed before I joined here...
                              they used to be
                              she said,
                              "The battle's almost won

Comment

I'd love to see a book of short stories about YW and the feline wizard books. I think stories about Tom and/or Carl, Rhiow as a kitten, what Nita, Kit and Dairine were doing in between the books, Ponch and S'ree as well as others (oh, and Fred, how could I forget Fred?) would be great!

I haven't read the door series, but I want to. There's not a copy at my local library (The YW series and several Star Trek books are the only DD books there) but I'm confused about the different titles/collections. In the US, what titles am I most likely to find these books published under?

Comment

Working...
                                X