I little mess up....K!t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I little mess up....K!t

okay, am reading the second yw book,paperback, and I'm only half way though and almost every time kits name is in the book, i turns into !, it has happen in a few other words too, but only with i's. Is and body eles having this problem?
    Darth Vader is my idol

That's simply an indication of how the whales pronounce Kit's name. From what I understand, mammals that live in water like whales and dolphins talk to each other mostly in clicks and singing, but can't manage some vowels like the "i" in Kit's name well. The ! is just a signal that they left the vowel out to make Kit's name pronounceable for them.

Good luck!
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

*laughs softly* Lamarquise's got it.

We see several variations of Kit and Nita's name throughout the series, as well.

*throws more ninja sai at Poot*

Comment

I listened to all of the YW books as audio books. This book (DW) in particular was fabulous as an audio book! Christina Moore does a great job with the names in the whale dialect. I can't imagine I could have even come close! You can find the audio books on CD or tape, or here at Audible.com as an MP3 file.

Comment

Errr... actually, Lamarquise might be wrong. I think DD was going for something much more specific.

! in IPA (the international phonetic alphabet) is the sign for a post alveolar click, which only exists in some African dialects (go watch The Gods Must be Crazy if you want to hear one).

So, "K!t" means the whales are "clicking" Kit's name as K-[click]-T.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Well whaddya know... Thanks, kli6! Guess I'm not that much of a linguist.
            I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

thanks...I just thought it was werid when it said "k!t said" It did it that way when the whales weren't pronuncing it...and if it is that way, why is nitas so different...?
              Darth Vader is my idol

Comment

Different name, different pronounciation. I have a feeling that it would have a lot to do with Nita's name in the speech too. Or it may be that its sort of the equavalent of 'Neets'. I always thought that Nita's whale name was pronounced something similar to that.

Alla

Comment

Personally, I think it's more of the physical limitations of the sounds a whale can make. Just as "Susan" becomes transliterated into its Ailuran approximate by Rhiow in TBoNwM.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

actually, i think it's more like this; you know how whales "sing"? well, the ! is to say that when they reach a particularly high note, you stress that part of the word.

Comment

Yeah, it's just the whales pronouncing his name differently, they did the same thing with Nita.
                      Oops

Comment

Working...
                      X