A Tribute To Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tribute To Ed

I seriously never thought that Ed would do something like that. But, he did (obviously). He was going to eat Nita wether she liked it or not. I guess that he realized that Nita and Kit both need to live, and that they would be saving people later on. I think he also took into comsideration that they were doing this, even though they didn't even have to care.

I think Ed also did it because his blood was the only thing that would call all of those sharks.
    Dai stiho cousins
    ~~~Ezra

Comment

Oh, yeah. Hehe, I forgot about that part. XD

Comment

But, still, I miss Ed... Well, sorta. I mean, he was kinda cool... XD

Comment

Hey, Stairbob, you might wanna check out the board FAQ about avatar size, one-liners, sig-sizes and editing previous postings. Welcome to the board!

Ed was the coolest. I loved that he was completely a shark from beginning to end, and you still felt for him. And on an almost completely, but not quite, unrelated Terry Pratchett note, everybody does know why Ankh-Morpork's Lord Selachii is named Selachii, right?
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Stairbob.

Huh, I just noticed that pun. Wecome aboard.. board...

.. okay, sorry. *shuts up*

I liked Ed a lot, too; I think I like him because he's so much his own character. If you opened up a page to a line of his, you would always know without a shadow of a doubt who it was talking, because he was so realised. Of course, the other characters a realised too, but I can think of few characters of any I've read who I would recognise without doubt with a short-ish quote, out of context, the way I would Ed.

As for Selachii... I didn't know that, actually, until just now when I Googled. Cool!
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Tui: Puns are evil.

But, yes welcome to the boards Stairbob!

Ed was cool - and kinda scary the first time that I read it, but yes he is cool. Sorta a tragic hero too, in that he gave his life to save his prey... but yes. Can anyone tell I'm in a bit of a romantic mood

Better be careful, or someone might get a big head

Thats cool, the meaning thingy ...

Comment

I thought Ed was great! But I also think he did what he did because deep deep down he was lonely! I mean he said to Nita some stuff about never being loved and stuff [sorry im on my lunch break so i cant check the book!]. So maybe he let himself die because he wanted a way out, i mean its the only way he is going to die. Plus he gets to put a little pain the lone powers way [whome i think he blamed for his situation ]
                oh yeah welcome to the board!
                Fox
                God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                  Hey, Stairbob, you might wanna check out the board FAQ about avatar size, one-liners, sig-sizes and editing previous postings.
                  Oh, hehe, I'm so sorry. I guess I'm used to IMing my friends and posting on my friend's and my websites. We just post whatever. There are some posts that are two words and some that seem to go on forever, and ever, and ever... XD
                  Some of our signatures are HUGE. I once had one that filled up all 300 characters XD. I guess that I just assumed that this would be similar. I guess I was wrong. XD Please doln't think that I'm just a dumb college kid, 'cause I'm not: I'm 12. And I get straight A's, thank you very much. XD Oh, and thank you for all of your warm welcomes!

Comment

No worries, Stairbob! Every online community has its own ways and means of doing things, and we never expect anyone to come in knowing any of the rules right off the bat. We're just a bit more sensitive on the wastage issue because we're all talking on DD's nickel, not some faceless corporation's. Plus, y'know, wizardry is about not wasting resources, among other things.

And I personally wait until about two dozen or so postings from someone before assuming anything about them. Welcome to the board and have a good time!

Fox: I like that explanation. But mostly, I just think I like that a shark gets to be the hero. They never get to be heroes.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Plus he gets to put a little pain the lone powers way [whome i think he blamed for his situation ]
                      Fox
                      But did he believe in the Powers That Be (including the Lone Power) before? I thought that it wasn't until Nita lent him her Wizardry, that he finally realised that there was Timeheart/The Heart Of the Sea/Heartsong(last chapter of the book, so I'm assuming that it has something to do with Timeheart). Doesn't S'reee say something along the lines of "You who have been a celebrant in so many songs, doubt the existence of TimeHeart"? Like Fox, I don't have a copy of the book handy, so I can't give the exact quote, but I know that it happens.

To me, it did seem an awfully sudden decision to make - giving up his life for Nita. Although, I guess, he might have been hiding his feelings - fear of the unknown/death/loving/being loved... How weird would that be? The Master Shark being afraid? And that probably leads to the whole tragic Hero thing too.

Or, Nita was probably the first creature that he had actually got a chance to know personally. She gave him 'a Sprat's name', and was probably one of the only creatures that had the chance to admit to him that she was scared and that (I think the line is "To say that I was not scared would be stupid. It would be giving you an excuse to eat me. And saying that I wasn't scared with be stupid too - and a lie". Again, no book, so sorry for the inaccuracy of any quotes.) he didn't eat immediately afterwards.

Well. That is probably the longest post that I have made, staying on topic in a thread, and actually discussing the books and I can't think of anything else to say on the topic...

Alla

Comment

from DW:
                        '... Show me the Sea's Heart, this Timeheart you speak of, and I'll admit it exists.'
                        'Are you denying that wizardry comes from there?' S'reee said, sounding even more annoyed.
                        'Possibly,' said the shark, 'if it does not. ... Your power I've seen: I don't deny that. I simply reserve decision on where it comes from.'
                        He refers back to when the Lone One had newly lost the Battle of the Trees. After all the times Ed has been in the Song of Twelve, he certainly believes in the Lone Power, so I suppose he believes in the other Powers, just as he believes in wizardry, which he's seen plenty of times.
                        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

You know i am going to ditch the insanity for a moment and try philosiphy.

Ed when he was first introduced in the book seemed cold heartless like an intelligent killing machine.

But he wasn't near the end when he was talking to nita during the rehearsal he showed a lot of fefeelings. that he actually seemed to care alot. Like when Nita said "...I am sorry." and Ed replied "This once sprat I am too".

Ed showed a lot of Courage sacraficing himself for Nita.

But in a way he was following his nature to end distress.

The thought of dying distressed Nita. Ed ended that distress by taking her place willingly.
                          (Honorary member of the Breaking then fixing chime foundation.)XD
                          "Everyone has a sanity threshold after which they turn into Young Wizard fans and talk in topics like this all day and meet people like PM and Kathy and Gryphon and Caitlin and Lord o

Comment

Ed'Rashtekaresket definitly believed in magic, and the LP. He said that even if he didn't believe in Timeheart, it wouldn't make a difference. I think that implies that he actually does believe in the magic. He also asked Nita to give him her magic. That proves without a doubt that he believes in magic. But maybe I'm just getting off-topic...HEY! I noticed that I haven't got what's called a 'newbie pack'. Maybe that's a good thing. I'm not a newbie!!! *cheers*

Comment

it certainly seemed like he did GIGO. now, does Ed'Rashtekaresket actually die at the end of Deep Wizardry? itseemed like he did but then Nita saw him in the ocean.
                              ------------------------------
                              Footsteps in the snow
                              suggest where you have been,
                              point where you are going:
                              but where they suddenly vanish,
                              never dismiss the possiblity
                              of flight....

Comment

Working...
                              X