• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite dd book

do you like deep wizardry too???

*Molly*
    sk8er

hi Molly ,
    i hate to think that no one will reply to your topic so here i am. bet its your first topic as well!! anyway i like most if not all the books i've ever read by DD, my recent one was 'stealing the elf's king rose'. it was good but not as good as the 'young wizards' books or 'the tale of the five'! and so far i think i like 'deep Wizardry', is my fav. i think its because thats when she tells her parents and takes them to the moon!! .
    See you around Molly .

-Daz-
    *21 going on 3*
    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Deep Wizardry is my total favorite book. I love this over ALL the others.

Comment

Deep Wizardry used to be my favorite YW book for the longest time. Well, at the time, there were only like four of the books out, anyway, unlike the eight now, so it's not like I had as many choices, but it was my favorite book. Recently I reread DW, and though it's still very excellent and awesome, I don't think it's any better than the first book, or the seventh book, or any of the others, though I guess it's still in a way my favorite. With such a good series, it's too hard to choose one book over the others and call it your favorite...

Comment

I have to say that im tied between a AWA and WAW. A lot of my friends at school love ireland so I know way more than I ever wanted to about Ireland and the Irish. That did make AWA a little bit easer to understand. I just liked WAW because its the most recient one I read.
          (\__/) "Be amazing"
          (+'.'+)
          (")_(")

Comment

While I love all of the DD books, I must admit that I like a wizards dillema the best. I mean, it was just so powerful, the way the descriptive language, it was almost as if you were right there with them. I guess all the books do that to some extent, but I think this one made you feel it the most.
            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

pick a fave??! impossible.

Comment

I like the second book the best.
                But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil
                thou shall not eat of it:
                for in the day that thou eatest there of
                thou shalt surely die.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that threads of this sort always seems to show up on this board? Yes, they're a popular form of dicsussion. but most of them have been in this board. This, of course, begs the question "Are we trying to say something about Deep Wizardry?" Most of the replies to these topics are usually from the DW camp (not to discount the book or anything, it's one of my favorites too, but it's an interesting thing to note).
                  This, of course, follows with, what is it that we like so much about this book? Really, I'm wondering. I like it as much as the next YW book, and a bit more than a few of them, but what is it that makes us love this book so much? Thoughts? Opinions? Anything?
                  PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                  Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Well, I have a few different reasons for why Deep Wizardry is my favorite. The first is probably that it meant that the adventures of Kit and Nita were going to be a series. Remember, at the time it first came out, there was only the one YW book, and I had no idea if it was going to be a standalone or a series.

The second thing is, of course, the widening out of the YW universe and wizardry to non-humans, and all the translation of things into cetacean paradigms.

The third thing would be the Song of Twelve itself. The formalism and beauty of it and the whole idea of it is cool beyond belief.

After that, I think one other reason is the confounding of expectations that occurs. After reading Narnia, you expect the whole "time flows differently" thing to work one way, when it works another. Nearly all other YA fantasy reading always keeps the parents separate from the magical realm of the kids. Any any dangerous threat is never REALLY dangerous. DD took all those expectations and turned them on their heads.

My reasons, anyhoo.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Deep Wizardry has been one of the few books that I had to finish before I went to sleep - I think the first time I was up until just past midnight. I just found it so - different to anything that I had read before that time. There aren't many books that I can think of that one of the main character seems to be in so much trouble that there is no apparent way about it.

Then (like Kathy) I find the Song of the Twelve to be totally cool. The references to the fall of Atlantis because the Song failed just made it seem all the more real. It would be awesome if it was possible to be able to read the thing in full .

Other than that, I think Kathy hit the nail on the head with her last paragraph too. Nothing is what you'd expect it to be in the book.

Alla

Comment

Why do I love DW? Ummm...well, maybe because for many many many (ok, only like 5) years, it was the only YW book I owned; therefore, I read it over and over and over again, just because it was there. You know, how if something's there, I'll read it? Ok, maybe you don't know, but I do.

At the time I read it, I also really really liked whales. Don't ask me why, but I did. And the book has lots of whale-ish references in it, like Nita and Kit turning into whales.

Lastly, I just like how Nita eventually told her parents about wizardry. I'm also going to use Narnia as an example; yes, they did tell Eustace, who told Jill, about Narnia, but did they ever tell any adults (besides the Professor, who had already been to Narnia) about Narnia? No. I just thought that was cool.

Comment

Lastly, I just like how Nita eventually told her parents about wizardry.
                          I like Kit's parents' reaction to his version of the talk: "So, my son's a brujo." :-) And then the differing reactions of his sisters...

(Edited: the original version was just the quote, which brought on kli's post below.)
                          "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Garrett, you are sooooooooo not helping me discourage the newbies from posting one-liners.

I actually think that Nita telling her folks is my favorite scene, particularly as it's bookended by Dairine's introduction into wizardry. The whole rueful feeling of having one's FAMILY get in on a special secret is extremely well written. You both admire Nita for telling them and standing up to her mother's protectiveness, as well as feel sorry that wizardry is no longer her own private thing.
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Sorry about that. :-)

I've been in very few communities where one-liners and multiple posts have been discouraged, so it's a case of old habits dying hard.

Very hard. :-)

At least my sig isn't longer than my content....
                              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
                              X