This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Wizardry Cover

This was the cover I saw when I read Deep Wizardry for the first time. I actually found DW before So You Want to be a Wizard, read a few pages, and immediately put it down. I've always hated reading books out of order, and I could tell that I was going to enjoy DW... so I set off to locate SYWTBAW.

For some peculiar reason, Nita's hair is dark on this cover as well. Between SYWTBAW's cover image and this cover, I picked up the idea that Nita's hair was dark. I didn't realize that it was blonde until I found High Wizardry, which the librarians had placed in the science fiction section instead of the fantasy collection (it took me quite a while to figure out where it was).

I think I prefer the old paperback cover of DW, as its Nita looks much more like her description. Now that I think about it, she looks quite a bit like Diane herself. Hmmm...

Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
    -- The Book of Forgotten Things
    Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.
    -- The Vorlon Ambassador's Aide

This was the cover I saw when I read Deep Wizardry for the first time. I actually found DW before So You Want to be a Wizard, read a few pages, and immediately put it down. I've always hated reading books out of order, and I could tell that I was going to enjoy DW... so I set off to locate SYWTBAW.

For some peculiar reason, Nita's hair is dark on this cover as well. Between SYWTBAW's cover image and this cover, I picked up the idea that Nita's hair was dark. I didn't realize that it was blonde until I found High Wizardry, which the librarians had placed in the science fiction section instead of the fantasy collection (it took me quite a while to figure out where it was).

I think I prefer the old paperback cover of DW, as its Nita looks much more like her description. Now that I think about it, she looks quite a bit like Diane herself. Hmmm...

-- The Book of Forgotten Things
    -- The Vorlon Ambassador's Aide

Comment

I find the cover very evocative--better than the one for the new paperback box set--but I agree with Ms. Duane that the figures look off somehow. Kit's proportions are more like those of a five-year-old. But then I've never been fond of Mr. Sweet's illustrations.

Inside every cynic there's an idealist desperately yearning to be let out, and when they are let out they're usually a real pain and cause all sorts of trouble. --Chris Boucher

Comment

Comment

This cover is definitely interesting. I think the one thing is has going for it is accuracy to the book, which most covers of any book tend to lack. However, I really dislike the art style. I agree with DD's comment on the depictions of Nita and Kit, plus I just don't like the whole style.

Yours till the bed spreads,
          Rowen Avalon
          mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
          Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
          "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

Oh, and Nita does have dark hair. For the direct quote, see my 'Ages' thread in the Nitpickery.

Yours till the bed spreads,
            Rowen Avalon
            mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
            Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
            "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

I like the cover except for the creepy heads. The first cover for DW I saw was the last one (not the new one the one before that) With the lone one snake in the back round

*Wooosh I be polydactial yo!*
              *Wooosh I be polydactial yo!*

Comment

i LOVE the cover and its my favorite book of all. i think the cover took place in the begining when they rescued sreee. at least i think so. i love the sea. i think the cover was great.
                From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

which is the old cover??

Perry, the ignorant Jupitarian

Comment

Has anyone else seen the old cover(s) of SYWTBAW? THey rule

Footsteps in the snow
                    suggest where you have been,
                    point where you are going:
                    but where they suddenly vanish,
                    never dismiss the possibility
                    of flight....
                    -Book of Night With Moon, xi, v.3

Comment

I wasn't keen on the old cover - I'm not a fan of the way Darrell Sweet does people. Not to mention, both Kit and Nita look a bit too young to me - about ten or so.

"Think how much worse it would be if life was fair, and all the awful
                      things that happened to us happened because we actually deserve them. I for
                      one take great comfort in the completely impersonal hostility of the
                      universe."
                      "Think how much worse it would be if life was fair, and all the awful
                      things that happened to us happened because we actually deserve them. I for
                      one take great comfort in the completely impersonal hostility of the
                      universe."

Comment

I'm an old fan; I've never seen the new cover. (I actualy didn't know the old one was changed.) What's it like?

Jen26
                        "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

Amazon is good for this purpose. I made a list

Comment

Is the old DW cover the one where Nita and Kit are really huuge compared to the whales? That is the only one I have seen, but i know there are newer ones. I got the first 4 books at a scholastic book fair in '96 i think, so that is when the cover is from.

"In life's name, adn for lifes sake..."

"Wizardry does not live in the unwilling heart."

"'Kit, the dog just asked me what the meaning of life is.'

'Give him a dog biscut, and tell him it's an allegory.'"
                            "The Second Law of Thermodynamics shows that disorder inevitably tends to increase in the Universe as time passes. Entropy is a measure of this disorder. Living things are not exempt from the Second Law of Thermodynamic

Comment

I borrowed the books from the library so I don't know the new covers.

"Many that live deserve death,
                              Many that die deserve life"
                              - Lord of the Rings
                              "A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"
                              "How are you today, missus Darcy?"

"keep holding on" avril lavigne

Comment

Working...
                              X