Deep Wizardry Fansite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Wizardry Fansite

If I need to relocate this to a more general board, let me know, but I figured it pretains pretty directly to DW.

I've had a domain for a while now but I've never completed a site for it. I am now turning it into a fansite specifically for the book DW, which is my favorite in the series and also as I take it the favorite of many others.

My question is this: what would you like to see on the site? Right now I have planned a summery of the book, character bios, real-life facts about the whale species mentioned in the book, and a small page about Diane Duane herself. But what else should there be?

I may expand the site to include the first three or four books, but for now I want to focus on my all-time fav, Deep Wizardry.
    And the Dragon's song, so wild and strong,
    Fell from the sky like rain
    Upon my soul; which, watered well,
    Bloomed with a joy no words can tell
    Where once was a dusty plain.

-A verse from the Song of the Winged Ones

You should include the Song, assuming DD wouldn't mind that being reproduced on a fansite (er, you wouldn't, right, DD? Hope you're reading this :P) Maybe scans of the covers of all the editions (okay, I admit, I'm asking because I really want hi-qual scans myself. )

Somewhere around here, a year or two (or three?) ago, there was a lengthy discussion of religious imagery and imagery in DW, which is apparently pretty rich for that sort of analysis; if that can be found, it might be cool to edit that up and include it. I could go fossicking around in the archives, if you'd like.

And because it's a fansite, there's always things like wallpapers, icons, et cetera, made by fans.
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Great ideas; thanks!

If you could help me find that discussion about imagery, I'd be really grateful. I'll be hunting for it, too.

I would really like to have fanstuff - icons and such - if people here are interested in contributing. Should I post a request on one of the general-talk boards, do you think?

And as for the Song - also a very good idea. What I suppose I would want to do is include everything S'reee and Nita's manual tell us about the Song, and all of the excerpts we're given of the words themselves. Do you think writing to DD for permission would be a good idea?

Oh, and here's a thought: what if I got recordings of the sounds made by the species of whales in the book? (Humpback song? Sperm whale battle cries?) The whales are one of the major attractions to that particular book for me, so I want to include lots of info about them.

Comment

Oh, I have another question. This may sound strange, and I'll bet no one knows what I'm talking about, but I'm going to ask anyway.

When I was very little, I remember seeing an animated movie about whales (with whales as the main characters). All I can remember about it is that the whales were sperm whales and that the story bore somewhat a resemblance to the book Whalesong

Comment

I have a couple of (old and kinda clumsy) icons floating around, and possibly others would like to contribute theirs; you might also try asking around on the LJ communities, for example. If you give me a contact email address you wouldn't mind being publicised, I could do that for you if you'd prefer.

Do you think writing to DD for permission would be a good idea?
          Legally that depends on how much you end up reproducing; OTOH, DD is usually reasonably quick to respond (I believe) and is IMO very likely to give permission, so I would say, yes, good idea. Plus, that way you're officially sanctioned.

'fraid I can't help you with the movie... but good luck, I hate not being able to remember that kind of thing.
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
          X