Themed Chapter Titles and BIG Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Themed Chapter Titles and BIG Words

I personally think this is way cool. Maybe it's lame to even bring this up, but I was just wondering. And what do you think of the larger vocabulary? I love this part of the books too, but I'm in love with big words.

i know what you mean. not only the fact that the book is interesting, but a few large words thrown in, mixed with topics of scientic, historical, or personal ideas.... i love it.
    ~the unreality of reality~

Comment

hullo. one of you stole my avatar. ggrrrrowl.

Comment

I think the bigger vocabulary is one of the good things about these books -- its not like people can't look a word up if they don't know what it means.

Too many 'young readers" books treat the young reader as if he has a third grade vocabulary and they don't want anyone to be embarrassed by not knowing a word, like it'll give you an inferiority complex or something....

Comment

Yeah. I like when there are lots of big words that I don't know, because then, the odds are that my friends, and enemies, don't know what they mean either. Then I can look them up and surprise everyone with words no one knows. Especially when this really annoying kid in my class starts, well, being annoying, I just tell him to stop in words that each have more than three syllables....
          "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

My dad's sais i'm always reading baby books with magic and stuff in them... after i showed him a few of the words he was stunned into silence.
            It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
            That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

Ha! My ma was like that too. She actually ended up quite happy, and now I have exaxtly 103 pages of new words from Diane Duane. 103!! If you want the list so you can have it let me know! I wrote down so many words, big and small, that I tend to forget to use when I'm writing papers and things. The list helps. Just let me know if you want the doc sent to your email! I'm here to help
              Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Working...
              X