The Annies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Annies

...just something I was noticing as I re-read "Abroad" Aunt Annie has some disturbing similarities to the Grand Dame of science fiction herself, Anne McCaffery.

*They have the same name (just different spellings)
    *They are transplanted Americans living in Ireland
    *They own a riding stable and keep their own horses
    *They had divorces and no-one really talks about their former husbands
    *They both have two sons and a daughter
    *Both have sons named Alec and Todd (page 37 of Abroad)
    *Both are wizards (Aunt Annie in the literal meaning; Anne McCaffery with words on a page)

Coincidence? Authorial intent? Crazed reader with an over-active imagination? You tell me.

Je ne connait pas la peur. -Oui... tu aura peur, tu aura peur.
    -Star Wars
    it's so easy to laugh at yourself when all those jokes have already been written...
    who're you fooling if the fools are right?

Comment

(polite cough) Annie the dog.
      You completely lost me there, Rysade.

Worlebird
      ------------------------------------
      !/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
      $/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
      lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)
      Worlebird
      ------------------------------------
      "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

You have hit it right on the nose there. Yes, Diane has worked Anne McCaffrey into her novels - now if she just had a way to have her breeding dragons, instead of horses... <grin>

Diane herself (and her spouse)have also been worked into other writers' works - the Star Trek novel "How much for just the planet?" by John M. Ford features the rousing tale of "Princess DeeDee the First" - a lovely woman with curly hair and bright eyes (good description) - and her suitor "Pete Blackwood".

Quite a bit of the fun of reading her novels is to see what she's going to slip in next...

Comment

Comment

Diane herself (and her spouse)have also been worked into other writers' works - the Star Trek novel "How much for just the planet?" by John M. Ford features the rousing tale of "Princess DeeDee the First" - a lovely woman with curly hair and bright eyes (good description) - and her suitor "Pete Blackwood".

Quite a bit of the fun of reading her novels is to see what she's going to slip in next...
            I should have mentioned that the above storyline is only part of a larger plot in the book - it's not the sole center of the above novel.

Comment

http://www.geocities.com/booknightmoon

Comment

The moment I encountered 'Annie' I started to howl. I just +knew+.

I went into the section for this book specifically to see if this question had come up, and to post it if not.

Comment

I noticed,Aunt Annie lives in County Wicklow, and if I'm correct, so does Anne McCaffrey

Comment

Working...
                  X