Why I Love Biddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Love Biddy

Biddy O Dalaigh is one of my favorite characters in this series. Not only is she bold yet humble, edgy yet beautiful, she also helped me realize what career I wanted to pursue.

When I first read the description of this cheerful, rugged, friendly woman who worked a "man's" job, I was immediately pulled into her character. I admire any hard-working women, but what pulled me even closer to Biddy is her work with animals. I loved the description of Biddy's work; the moving around the county, the honest labor, the friendship with the owners of the horses she worked with.

I instantly knew I wanted to travel to my work. I have always wanted to be a veterinarian, for any kind of animal. Later, I learned that large animal vets were growing more scarce (it's more profitable to be a vet for dogs and cats in the city). I immediately thought of Biddy and her travel through the country, moving from farm to farm to do her work. It was then that I knew that I wanted to be a large animal vet, working out in the country, going from farm to farm, and working just as hard as Biddy.

I never really realized how a fictional character could influence someone's life.

So, why do YOU love Biddy?
    From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

The first few times I read the book, when I was younger, Biddy's character never seemed important to me-- she didn't seem like one of the main characters. She was "flat".
    I stopped reading YW for a while, and then started again when I was a little older. What hit me was the difference between how I viewed the books then and how I view them now. A whole lot of things changed, and Biddy was one of them. I liked her personality. I also liked how she "humanized" the Powers a little bit. In High Wizardry, we saw the Champion in human form, but a ten-foot-tall human form holding a blazing sword. In AWAb, we see Biddy as a strong, friendly, believable woman who has to make the ultimate sacrifice simply because she is one of the Powers. Personally I don't think she gets enough "screen time"/page time in the book. The magnitude of her sacrifice is only briefly touched upon.
    I hope I didn't put you to sleep, I'll be going now

Comment

I think I"ll throw some lightning around...

I think it's just way cool that she glances around occasionally, and effectively thinks "oh - no one's here? OK, I'll just push that lightning around a little bit"...

Comment

Working...
      X