How old is Nita in "Abroad"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is Nita in "Abroad"?

I'm currently rereading Awa and at the beginning of the book it says that it has been 2 1/2 years since Nita got her manual. Which would mean that she would be 15 almost 16, but then later on in the book it says she is 14. Has anyone else wondered about this?
    "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Yeah, that's a tough one. I noticed that too, but I just disregard it, because all the other books after just say that she's 14. I think DD made a one time mistake on that, and forgot about it. Then you get to the problems of an accurate timeline for these books... My theory is that they were meant for he present, and time isn't very important, it's what the characters do with the time.
    "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

I think that she was 14, like the awesome Zirsta said, and I think DD just made a typo. Hey, it happens right
      Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Well, then in some of the later books it says that she is younger than 14. IDK. No one can really put together a proper timeline for the YW series. I just say that the year is the present, and that she is the age that she acts like. In WAb, I consider her still 13.
        "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

I think its fun to try to figure out the ages though haha, i get entertainment from figuring things out :P
          Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

The issue of how time passes in these books used to really bother me, especially on the issue of how the vast leaps forward in computer technology does not line up with how much time has suposedly passed between books. I enjoy nitpicking and trying to figure these things out too. But eventually, I realized that as Zirsta said, these books are meant for now, and it's best to just accept the sometimes-confusing timeline and focus on the story. It also seems strange to me sometimes that it's been years since I've started reading the books, but for Nita and the other characters, much less time has passed. My perspecitive in reading the books has changed a great deal, and I relate to them differently. On a side note, it would be interesting to try to establish a timeline. Has this been done already?
            "Go ahead! Panic! Do it now to avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!"

Comment

It's been attempted by a lot of people actually. Very hard actually.

Peter Murray did some, and there are others, definitely. It's just very hard, since in a few places DD contradicts herself, and the books are published several years apart and all that.

Comment

i think she's 14 but she's definatly not over 15, and Wican since when is zirsta the awesome zirsta...did i miss something LOL LMAO
                It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
                That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

She is 15 in W@W and AWOM.

I am the awesome Zirsta, so deal with it!

Comment

haha what if i don't want to hmm. what do you say to that

-The Awesome Septimus
                    It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
                    That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

That's cheating. You aren't titled the awesome ___ until someone calls you that!

If you want to know who says, well I says.

Comment

Originally posted by Septimus View Post
                        i think she's 14 but she's definatly not over 15, and Wican since when is zirsta the awesome zirsta...did i miss something LOL LMAO
                        No, you didn't miss anything I just like to come up with random names for people that fit. I think I'll call Zirsta the Awesome Z. I'll keep working on the names. You're Septy, and Gleda is Leda. I liked that a lot better.

The Awesome Z is right You're earn your title soon Septy

Comment

I don't think time runs 'normally' in the YW-verse. Peter Murray did up a comprehensive timeline for the books prior to WH, this can be found beyond the following link: http://web.archive.org/web/200602111.../timeline.html (Side note: Have his pages been preserved anywhere other than webarchive? I would really like to bookmark them)(Response from mod: Yes.). According to PM's work, she's 14 in Abroad.

Hey Z, I wasn't aware of other timelines. Who else has tried to come up with one? I'd be interested to have a read of them Do you have any links?
                          Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 17, 2009, 11:36:56 AM. Reason: Added response to avoid one-liner

Comment

Working...
                          X