Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feelings about a certain someone

ROSHAUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I just had to express this in a place where other people might actually understand...

He's been missing/dead-but-not-dead since WaW... which was published in 2005. So he's essentially been missing for 11 years of my life.

But now... found.

T_T
    T_T
    T_T
    T_T

ROSHAUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNN

Yeah, so I'm having feelings. Anybody else?
    Last edited by lifini; February 6, 2016, 03:14:25 AM.
    ~*~
    ...to have been this once, completely, even if only once: to have been at one with the earth, seems beyond undoing.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, The Ninth Elegy

And the feels for Dair for this happening? And the rest of them, but especially Dairine. Not just us getting him back, but how we interact with these characters who've been needing to deal with him not being there, and grieving but also knowing he's not dead. And now them having him back.

I want a Dairine novella now.
    We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Same! I've always related more to Nita than Dairine, but this book definitely helped me get into Dairine's headspace more, and I really enjoyed it. It's great to see her maturing a bit, but still have that competitive urge that's such a big part of her personality. Her feelings and thoughts towards Roshaun are so well written and articulated, and I loved that.
      All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Yes hello I am here to yell about Roshaun.

Comment

roshaun, but...

Actually finding Roshaun at the end surprised me, because I had it in my head that somewhere, somewhen, DD wrote or intimated something to the effect that finding R. would be a multi-book arc, and I guess I inferred that it would be beyond this book when he was finally found.

Does anyone else recall this statement by DD, or am I just making it up?

p.s. I half expected Nelaid to notice where Dairine had teleported to, saw or guess what she was doing and show up to help her - or at least feed her power - while she was floating around the sun running out of spell energy...
          Last edited by SpacePen; February 7, 2016, 03:00:08 AM.

Comment

I don't go as hard for the whole Dairine/Roshaun thing as most people (other than as a casual approval of the whole "we're best friends why does no one understand that" *****platonic thing they've got going on), but I was pretty shocked and pleased to see him come back! Mostly shocked--I totally didn't think it was gonna happen in this book. I believe I saw the same thing you did, SpacePen, about his return taking multiple books. Which, I guess it's technically been two since he left, but still! Seemed kind of out-of-the-blue.

Probably my favourite part of that whole scene was the bit where Nita says "I think I just got my sister back". Of course she's glad to see Roshaun too, but it's good to remember that this has been affecting the Callahan household as a whole as well, because of how Dairine's been "taking the High Road" lately. Hopefully this takes a weight off everyone's mind from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Elita Justice View Post
              I don't go as hard for the whole Dairine/Roshaun thing as most people (other than as a casual approval of the whole "we're best friends why does no one understand that" *****platonic thing they've got going on), but I was pretty shocked and pleased to see him come back! Mostly shocked--I totally didn't think it was gonna happen in this book. I believe I saw the same thing you did, SpacePen, about his return taking multiple books. Which, I guess it's technically been two since he left, but still! Seemed kind of out-of-the-blue.

Probably my favourite part of that whole scene was the bit where Nita says "I think I just got my sister back". Of course she's glad to see Roshaun too, but it's good to remember that this has been affecting the Callahan household as a whole as well, because of how Dairine's been "taking the High Road" lately. Hopefully this takes a weight off everyone's mind from now on.
              YES! I feel for Dairine so much (I think I've always identified roughly equally with Nita and Dairine, just in different ways with each?). Also, I CANNOT ****ING WAIT to get the full-blown, 100% Dairine in the next book.

Comment

Roshaun Exhalation?

Yeah I was absolutely pscyhed to see Roshaun come back into the series. He's got the best way to 'yank' on Dairine's ponytail, so to speak. Their love-hate platonic relationship is hysterical.

I did think though that it was a bit weird when Irina was saying that Penn was the first instance of an Exhalation being trapped/lost inside someone. Didn't Nita in W.o.M. (#9.) take a look at the index directory for Welakit, when she was looking up Roshaun's 'blank' physical status, there was some others that said Exhaled or Indeterminate. Does that mean Roshaun is a potential host vessel for the Welakit star's Exhalation? Is that why he could survive inside our Sun's lacuna spiritual place for the Exhalation fragment?

Comment

My first thought is to say that means the first instance on Earth, or within the Solar* system; not the first instance ever. But then at second glance, to be "Exhaled" wouldn't be the same as being the one that an Exhalation is trapped inside of, right?

*Hm, I wonder do they call Wellakh's system the Thahitar system? The Thahitist system? Thatital? How would that suffix work...

Comment

I had the same thought that it meant the first instance on Earth, but I'm pretty sure Irina mentioned that other stars do the whole "soul-split and travel" thing and she never heard of another being stuck inside a person. Which sounds a bit inconsistent when she's got Nelaid and Roshaun visiting her planet all the time! I mean, I understand she's a busy wizard and all that, so maybe she doesn't quite know all the details of Welakit, but if Tom & Carl know as much about Welakh people to understand that Nelaid is pretty much Senior wizard (possible planetary) of the place - I would be pretty sure Irina would know that too. Maybe not the family genealogy status page in the manual, but that's a bit more believable.

The use of "Exhalation" seems to be more of what the Sun does, not what the actual "soul-split" piece does. It IS the "Exhalation", so different use of the verb as a noun then. I don't know about "Exhaled" then; is it perhaps that they were subsumed into their Star? That would explain why Dairinne finds 3 lacunas on the Welakhit star. Maybe their version of the Simurgh took over the person's vessel and became incarnate? I don't know, guessing there. DD!!! We need help! Lol.

Lol I have absolutely no idea how that suffix would work properly. Maybe the Welakhit language works differently?

Comment

Working...
                    X