Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathy Li
    replied
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you totally rock. Librarians are the best people!

Yeah, it's interesting hearing the groundswell on this one. I've already heard comparisons (and scoffing of same) with Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell as well. It seems as if Regency-era settings may be the next fantasy vogue. (Hmmm... is this fantasy's answer to steampunk?)

Leave a comment:

• meteorite
    replied
    *happy dance!*

Our library system owns the first two Temeraire books, so I'm off to place requests on them. The first two both have a publication date of 2006, but there are already a number of requests placed, so the buzz is out on the street. I also pointed our youth services librarian at them; she doesn't care much for fantasy, manga, and sci fi, so she lets me suggest much of it. Needless to say, I have waved DD at her repeatedly

Leave a comment:

• Kathy Li
    replied
    Originally posted by meteorite:
    Thank you for inflicting a new thing on me
    I live to serve. I should perhaps mention, though, that the O'Brian comparisons are mostly all about the setting. Novik's prose style and complexity of situation is much simpler than O'Brian's.

Originally posted by AlidaART:
    Is one of your sources perhaps Sherwood Smith? Because I noticed that she said on her website that she was reading and enjoying them.
    Nope, my sources were from folks who work at Other Change of Hobbit and Mysterious Galaxy. But the buzz is definitely making the rounds, particularly in the LiveJournal community, since the author wrote the book as locked entries on her LJ.

Leave a comment:

• AlidaART
    replied
    Ah! The Pit Dragon series. I've always secretly adored those. I'm not entirely sure why; perhaps it was the Catch 22-style political manouevering that the whole plot came out to be. Fascinating. Though I must say, nothing else by Jane Yolen has ever really clicked for me. I tried reading Sister Light, Sister Dark or whatever it's called, and came to an abrupt halt at the phrase "black tears" after struggling through the first few chapters.

But as for the series Kathy recommended--I've heard of these too. Is one of your sources perhaps Sherwood Smith? Because I noticed that she said on her website that she was reading and enjoying them.

Leave a comment:

• meteorite
    replied
    Thank you for inflicting a new thing on me
    Now I have to go out and look for the series. I am a fan of the Dragonrider series, the Aubrey/Maturin series, and the Hornblower series, so this seems to combine some of all of them successfully.

"Sir, you have debauched my sloth!"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X